cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrotesqueHybrid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi im posting for my aunt. she has a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium. i dont really know much about the aquarium. in her filter she has a sponge and a phosphate reducer (the stone thingies). her water is cloudy white. i think it may be dead alga. but i dont know. any suggestions on what i could do?

If a tank is cloudy and its white, its due to a bacterial bloom. These are often seen when something happens to the nitrifying bacterial colony. Its generally not seen in a mature tank, but is often seen in new tanks. How old is her tank? What are her water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates)?

Tell her to put some water into a white cup; if theres a hint of green its an algae bloom which is more likely in a mature tank. Its usually due to an overabundance of nutrients.

Is the tank fully cycled? if not it could easily be a bacteria bloom from a cycle starting. How long has the tank been set up? Has she added any new gravel recently?

allivymar got there first tho!! hahaha i woulda said bacterial bloom as well... never happened in my tank that i know of but i've just seen other people with that problem..

I had a similiar problem but it cleared after a couple hours and it has not returned since then and yes it was a few days after setting up my tank.

I had the same problem in my 20 gallon when I set it up. I gave it a few days to clear up only to discover a dead cory one morning. My ammonia levels were through the roof.

:morning:

Back
Top Bottom