cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What could be the cause of my water never clearing up? 36 g bowfront with two 30 g power filters, an aquaclear and aqueon. I recently installed the aquaclear 5 days ago I think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110610_164515.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110610_164515.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 76
What are ur water perimeters are u cycled it looks like a bacterial bloom

I just ordered a liquid test kit but I'm sure my parameters are fine. And I'm sure its cycled since its been up since September

One betta, one neon tetra and two red minor tetra. And like I said, recently added the aquaclear filter, and I think four days ago I changed the cartridge for the aqueon since it was due

fishdud said:
One betta, one neon tetra and two red minor tetra. And like I said, recently added the aquaclear filter, and I think four days ago I changed the cartridge for the aqueon since it was due

Yeah I think u are going through a bacterial bloom... u only need to change the filter when its falling apart I know they say ever month or what ever but ur beneficial bacteria lives in ur filter sponge now ur going through a mini cycle sry watch ur perimeters and do pwc everyday just 30% until ur tank fixes its self

I only change it when the water is like overlapping the cartridge which it was so I changed it. I think it may be the new filter but I'm not so sure

I'm going to help u out so u dont keep wasting money and going through these cycled so this is what u should do.... The filter u have has a plastic piece that's attached to it rip off the filter sponge and empty out the carbon its really not needed now go to the lfs and buy the filter sponge that u can cut to size and get some little micro balls now put that plastic piece in with nothing on it then cut the filter to size but it in then fill the back that's open with micro beads then all u have to do is once a month take out the filter and since it in used tank water the chlorine in ur tap will kill the bb then put the filter sponge back in...dont replace unless falling apart...now one more thing u can also add its ur choice to do this if u want to get ur water really clear the open part in ur filter between the plastic piece and where the water comes out put this stuff called poly-fil in there and change it once every 2 weeks

Ive heard about the poly-fil stuff but not sure where to get it or which is safe to get. I've heard some can be harmful to the fish. And I will try what you suggested so thanks, reason for a second filter was to clear up an algae bloom and to require less water maintenance I guess. But aqueon cartridges are expensive so I got an aquaclear knowing you can put whatever you want to fill your needs

If u do what I said u will only need to change ue filter sponge once maybe twice... Now with ur aqua clear cause that's what I run do filter sponge poly-fil then filter sponge it does awesome u will save a lot of money.... Get poly-fil from a craft shop and make sure it doesn't have fire retardent in it its like $3 a bag and it will last about a year

Okay. But what about my Bio media for my aquaclear? I know I can't take that out. Or can I? o_O and dumb question but what store can I get poly-fil?

fishdud said:
Okay. But what about my Bio media for my aquaclear? I know I can't take that out. Or can I? o_O and dumb question but what store can I get poly-fil?

ur aqua clear is a 3 stage all u need to put in it is a sponge then poly-fil then a sponge again that's all and u can get poly-fil from any craft store

Okay. So basically its more of a bacterial bloom than algae bloom? That means I can leave my lights on?

Poly-Fil = Filter Floss...same thing. As indicated, if you get it from a craft store, make sure it isn't treated. Drop by your LFS and look at the bag so you know what the content should read before getting it from the craft shop. In the craft shop, you'll find the stuff back in the pillow stuffing area :)

Back
Top Bottom