Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20L stocked with four dwarf gourami's, 10 neon tetra and 6 peppered cories. I use a Aquaclear power filter rated up to 70 gallons and have an air stone on the opposite side of the tank to help with water movement. The tank is fully cycled and has been running for over a month. I've tried seachems clarity and still I have extremely cloudy water. Any advice? Here's a picture of the tank if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 84
I have a 20L stocked with four dwarf gourami's, 10 neon tetra and 6 peppered cories. I use a Aquaclear power filter rated up to 70 gallons and have an air stone on the opposite side of the tank to help with water movement. The tank is fully cycled and has been running for over a month. I've tried seachems clarity and still I have extremely cloudy water. Any advice? Here's a picture of the tank if it helps.

Have you checked your parameters lately?

Nitrate 0, Nitirite 0, Alkalinity 120, ph 7.2. I just put some water into a beaker and it didnt have a green tint. I replaced my gravel with PFS not too long ago. You think thats it?

Nitrate 0, Nitirite 0, Alkalinity 120, ph 7.2. I just put some water into a beaker and it didnt have a green tint. I replaced my gravel with PFS not too long ago. You think thats it?

Hmmmmm, maybe if you didn't rinse it.....:confused: Although by now it probably would have settled. It probably isn't the issue because the water seems greenish....

Last edited:
You could try triple dozing the clarity. Also if u do turn your tank light off overnight and u should see it clearing up within 48 hours

Jnthn932 said:
Let's say it is algea. What can I do to geet rid of it?

A blackout will help...but if you don't address the cause it will just return. Just like the flocculent will only help temporarily. Normally it's over lighting, nutrient imbalances, etc... The link I provided will give you lots more information than I can provide. Here's another to read over-
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/algae-in-the-planted-aquarium/

Try a pwc also that should help before triple dosing the clarity. I had that problem and a triple dose got me crystal clear water In less then 24 hours of blackout

Let's say it is algea. What can I do to geet rid of it?

I'm thinking three scenarios ..depends on what type of "cloudiness" we're talking about.

1. By the color in the pic .. it looks like sand dust,nwhich would jive with the recent switch to PFS. Some 50% PWC's should help to eventually clear it up.

2. You also mentioned switching out your gravel for PFS. There is a chance you may be experiencing a mini-cycle and it could be a bacterial bloom ... If so the cloudiness would have a whitish look to it. BB grows on all internal surfaces and substrate can have a bunch. It's not unheard of to switch your substrate and find you removed a bunch of your BB. As a result you may get a bacterial bloom as new bacteria establishes itself. You didn't post your ammo numbers to help confirm.

3. If the cloudiness is a green tint, it's an algae bloom that'll require PWC's and switching off the lights for a 2-3 blackout. See the link below for more help on various algae forms.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Wait. When I setup my tank up and used Sand. It took over a month do get rid of cloud. I guess I didn't rinse it well enough. But it was cold and I did it longer that thirty minutes and it started getting dark. So I stopped and rushed and had cloudy water for over a month. Good news is it's clear as can be and when I get into the tank and brush sand around and move stuff. It settles instantly.

How long ago did you switch to sand? I also noticed you didn't post your ammonia level, do you have that info?

But yeah, jcolon basically summed up all the possibilities worth considering. I suppose if it is dust from the sand, some poly-fil might help catch the fine particles...it still looks green to me though.

Just did almost a 100% water change and it looks so much better. I think the problem may have been PFS I added about a week ago. Hopefully the algea wont return! I have the tank about 20 feet form a window covered with blinds so I dont think that is the porblem. Anyway thanks for the help and great info!

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom