Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishnewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I'm posting this for a friend. Hoping someone can help..
Both of my friends tanks (50 gallon and 20 gallon) are really cloudy, almost looks like fog. Readings are good, one of the filters is new and they are both cleaned out regularly. She uses dechlorinator and does regular water changes.
This has been going on for months and she is at a loss at what to do. The fish don't seem to be bothered but it looks bad.
Any idea what could be the problem?
Thank you x

I had the same problem after adding new gravel and it lasted for weeks. I did water changes taking out about half every 2 or 3 days and also ended up adding Stress Zyme and it finally cleared. How long have the tanks been set up? May be a mini cycle which can happen even after the tanks have been set up for a couple of months.

Could be from changing filters. Usually filter media doesn't need to be replaced unless it's literally falling apart (regardless of what the manufacturer says). Replacing them removes the beneficial bacteria which can cause a mini-cycle.

I will pass on these suggestions to her, thanks everybody!
In answer to the comment about changing filters - she still has the original filter in place too, the tank has 2 filters running but still no difference.

Back
Top Bottom