Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark6t6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Bought a new 50 gallon tank. New gravel. Rinsed before setting up.
I have 1 Oscar
1 Green Terror
1 Placo

Sent tank up and transferred fish from a 34 gallon tank to the new 50 gallon tank. Transfer went well. First week water was great, no problems.
Second week water started to cloud and stayed cloudy. It has been 2 weeks. PH level is good. Petsmart said i could use a water clarifier. I have done 2 treatments with this and nothing seems to be helping. Petsmart said it will take time to clear up. There is a green/brown tint to the cloudiness. It has got to the point where I cant see the fish in tank. I am about to do a 50% water change. Any suggestions? HELP!!!!

It most likely is just a bacterial bloom, tho the green tint sounds kinda like algae...

Anyways... your best bet is to do like a 50% water change once a week. I wouldnt bother with a clarifier... Its not going to help if its a bacterial bloom and you'll just waste your money on a product that wont work as well as a simple water change. :)

I have changed the water for three weeks straight now and still the water is cloudy with a green tint. I can not get the water to clear up. Any other suggestions or do I continue with the water changes

If its green, it's an algae bloom. Usually brought on by too much light. Does the tank get direct sunlight? What is your lighting? You can try a complete black out of the tank for a few days and see if that helps. It might come back if the main cause of the problem isn't addressed.

I have turned the lights out for a few days as well and the outcome has been the same. I am doing a water change again, 50% but I have done this for three weeks straight and nothing seems to be working. The water continues to stay green and cloudy. The fish seem to be fine. It doesnt seem like it is effecting them except for a little bit of shock when I do the water change.

When you say you've done water changes for three weeks what does that mean? How many per week have you done?

Is the tank in a well sunlit room?

You could try a flocculant (a water clarifier). It will clump the tiny algae particles into bigger particles and then they should sink. Then vac your gravel and clean your filter. But, unless you get your lighting issue worked out it will come back.

I have done 1 water change a week. The room is well lit but I have never had this issue before. this is a new tank. I have gone from a 34 gallon to a 50 gallon. I have also used a water clarifier to try and solve this problem. The tank is not clearing up. It has been about a month now. When I first put the tank together, the water was fine.

Back
Top Bottom