Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon tank that has been running since September. I finally got the tank through the cycling process around November. All has been well until about a week ago then my water started to get cloudy. It was about time for my weekly water change so I did it hoping this will help. The water still looks cloudy. Levels are as follows: Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0, Amm 0, PH 6.8. I have a hagan co2 system that I got for Christmas that has backed up a few times into the tank making it cloudy. I have always caught this early and with water changes it goes away. I am monitoring the co2 system and I have not seen it backing up into my tank. So do you think I am missing the system backing sometimes or could it be something else?

I am guessing you have the yeast type co2. You can get a check valve. I have that type of co2 on my 55 and not been blessed with any backups. My can is on the floor and I did not cut any of the tubbing that it came with.

I am guessing you have the yeast type co2. You can get a check valve. I have that type of co2 on my 55 and not been blessed with any backups. My can is on the floor and I did not cut any of the tubbing that it came with.

Yes, it is a yeast type. I make my own because I do not think I should have to pay that much for yeast and sugar refills. I also do not use the baking soda as a buffer. The backup and cloudiness usually happens when the water temperature in the canister starts to drop. So what I have been doing is leaving it off the hose until the water cools down and I get a foam on top. The foam has been what was backing in my tank, so I just scoop it out then hook it up. This is why I am thinking it is not the CO2. A check valve would be nice and a start, where can I get one?

I have never tried to use other things other than the yeast that came with it, so I have no idea about that. Check valves you can get anywhere. Petsmart, Ur local fish store. They are cheap, under a few $.

I just used a similar recipe that I did for my DIY CO2 system. 1 /2 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of yeast, which is weird because that never backed up on me. Thanks for the advice on the check valve, will look next time I am at the big store. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I did my weekly water change and also took out the CO2 system. The water is clear as a bell now. I am going to pick up the check valve tomorrow while I am in town. Hopefully my plants will be okay a day without.

Back
Top Bottom