Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy Honda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just added 6 new fish and 2 fake plants to my 200lt tank now the water is so cloudy and green in colour I can't see anything there was 9 fish in the tank before and everything was fine I'm doing 25% water changes every second day now but it's not getting cleaner. advice would be appreciated thanks

If it is what can I do I have a uv filter ordered I think that's what it's called

Well as far as I know bacterial blooms should be left to settle on it's own, with that the water should be cloudy or looking like a glass of milk has been poured in there, but algae bloom is greener water and everything else in the tank turning green, I have never had this one before but maybe back to back water changes?? How long do you leave your light on each day??

Monsweet said:
Well as far as I know bacterial blooms should be left to settle on it's own, with that the water should be cloudy or looking like a glass of milk has been poured in there, but algae bloom is greener water and everything else in the tank turning green, I have never had this one before but maybe back to back water changes?? How long do you leave your light on each day??

Water is very green and a lot of algae on my ornaments. there are two fluorescent lights on the tank one like a light the other a dark kind of one I have them on for 10 to 12 hr per day

Cut back your lighting. If its green it's an algae bloom usually brought on by too much light. You can black out the tank for a few days with a towel or blanket to see if that make a difference. Unless the cause of the problem is addressed it may come back.

Mumma.of.two said:
Cut back your lighting. If its green it's an algae bloom usually brought on by too much light. You can black out the tank for a few days with a towel or blanket to see if that make a difference. Unless the cause of the problem is addressed it may come back.

What could some of the causes be

Usually it's just from too much light. Make sure there is no sun hitting the tank and the lights aren't too much. Cut back on the amount of time your lights are on.

Tommy Honda said:
What could some of the causes be

As MummaOfTwo said, too much light. Cut your lighting period way down, eight hours per day at most. Is the tank getting sunlight? If so block that too. A few days of blackout may help.

Yes 12 hours is too long, maybe do some back to back water changes and from now on 8 hours max for lighting, make sure there is no sun light on your tank too :) away from windows etc etc. Now that it's there I think it will only get worse until you get it under control. So do 25% water changes every night for a few nights or do one 50% and 25 % there after.

Thanks everyone it's 11.30pm here in Ireland so I'll try cutting down the light times and sun light from tomorrow on .good night

Tommy Honda said:
Thanks everyone it's 11.30pm here in Ireland so I'll try cutting down the light times and sun light from tomorrow on .good night

I'm Wrexham north Wales, very much bedtime now! Hope the tank settles for you

Back
Top Bottom