cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy friend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank for a few days now and today ive noticed that the water is going cloudy, can anybody help me as to why thia might be happening?

New tanks often experience a bacterial bloom in the water column. It will go away by itself after a short time.

The tank is old I got it from a friend who has had it set up for a long time she just got a new one so gave it too me, when I collected it it still had some of the original water in as she gave me a few fish aswell... Could I have somehow upset the balance?

Did you keep everything wet when you moved it so that the nitrifying bacteria did not die off?
Did you remove and replace the gravel?
What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

Bacterial blooms usually mean excess nutrients in the water column. Do a large PWC with gravel vac, cut back on feeding for a while and wait it out. There is not much you can do about it, it will resolve on its own after a week or so.

Sorry for so long to reply, there was say 20% water in the tank when moving it as it had fish in it already, the faux pebbles were left in along with the ornaments so nothing was taken out. all I did was top it up with water when I got it home. Unfourtunatly I do not know my levels as im waiting.for my kit too arrive.

Ok, nothing to stress over. I would do daily 50% PWCs, if you can, until your test kit arrives. After that keep to a 50% per week PWC schedule unless your test tell you otherwise. The bloom will subside.

Thankyou for your advice, you mention pwc, sorry but im not sure what that is :-/

PWC is partial water change. Welcome to the fish world. If you didn't keep the filter media you're going to go through a bit of a fish IN cycle so you'll want to read up on that. Test water daily & do water changes based on your results.

shellieca said:
PWC is partial water change. Welcome to the fish world. If you didn't keep the filter media you're going to go through a bit of a fish IN cycle so you'll want to read up on that. Test water daily & do water changes based on your results.

Sorry this is all mind boggling, I assume by filter media you mean the bacteria that forms on the spongy part of the filter? As I mention this is an established tank that was already running long before I got it I merely topped it up with about 60% water, the filter was still in the tank when I got it and from what I seen wasnt cleaned prior to me collecting so I assume the media would still be present? Im running an elite stingray 15 if that helps with regard to the quality of the filter I use? Also forgive my stupidity but is a pwc a simple case of removing x amount of water and then just replacing said water with fresh? Or is there a proper method I need to follow?

You need to condition your tap water before you put it into your tank as tap water contains chlorine and other substances that are harmful to your fish and the bacteria that grows in your filter. I use tetra aqua safe but all the water conditioner products work in much the same way in that they all neutralise the harmful substances in the water to make it safe for your fish.
You also need to try to match your water parameters (temp, pH especially) to avoid shocking your fish with the water you put in and this is where the test kit comes in. If you don't have one get the API freshwater master test kit. It's fairly cheap, it's reliable and easy to use and I think most people on here tend to use it, I do.

Dreadz said:
You need to condition your tap water before you put it into your tank as tap water contains chlorine and other substances that are harmful to your fish and the bacteria that grows in your filter. I use tetra aqua safe but it seems most people in the US use Prime but all the water conditioner products work in much the same way, they all neutralise the harmful substances in the water to make it safe for your fish.

Thankyou for your reply, I have just cleaned my filter useing a bit of water from the tank itself for the sponges and other vital parts so that the bacteria lives on so as not to remove too much of it.. With regards to conditioning the fresh water I have read online that if I leave to stand for a period of 24 hours the chlorine level will more or less drop to nothing thus making it more kind to my fish could u please confirm weather this is a true statement?

Dreadz said:
I'm no expert by any stretch but I personally wouldn't put any water into my tank without treating it first

I agree, I wont either im off to the pet shop as we speak to get the relevent materials... Hopefully my testing kit will arrive soon as im starting to get panicky over whether my ammonia and nitrate levels are to high...

fishy friend said:
Thankyou for your reply, I have just cleaned my filter useing a bit of water from the tank itself for the sponges and other vital parts so that the bacteria lives on so as not to remove too much of it.. With regards to conditioning the fresh water I have read online that if I leave to stand for a period of 24 hours the chlorine level will more or less drop to nothing thus making it more kind to my fish could u please confirm weather this is a true statement?

Yes, that will work to remove Chlorine. However, it won't work to remove Chloramine. It would take weeks or longer for the Chloramine bond to break. SeaChem Prime is just about the most cost effective water treatment available, you use less per gallon therefore the bottle will last longer saving you some money. If you have Chloramine in your water supply make sure that whatever brand treatment you use says it can break the Chloramine bond and detoxify the resulting ammonia.

Filter media is anything you put in the filter: sponges, floss, ceramic rings, etc. when doing your maintenance just swish this stuff in old tank water until it is falling apart. It is not necessary to replace it every month like the packaging says. This will save you some money too.
Another savings is: you don't need to run carbon unless there is a need to (removing meds, tannins, etc).
More savings tips: if your filter has a cartridge type media then when it is time to change it you can just rip off the old floss, keep the plastic part, and get some bulk pad floss, cut it to fit and attach to the plastic part with rubber bands.

BTW, a PWC schedule of 50% per week will go a long way to prevent any illness and keep your water nice and healthy.

blert said:
Yes, that will work to remove Chlorine. However, it won't work to remove Chloramine. It would take weeks or longer for the Chloramine bond to break. SeaChem Prime is just about the most cost effective water treatment available, you use less per gallon therefore the bottle will last longer saving you some money. If you have Chloramine in your water supply make sure that whatever brand treatment you use says it can break the Chloramine bond and detoxify the resulting ammonia.

Filter media is anything you put in the filter: sponges, floss, ceramic rings, etc. when doing your maintenance just swish this stuff in old tank water until it is falling apart. It is not necessary to replace it every month like the packaging says. This will save you some money too.
Another savings is: you don't need to run carbon unless there is a need to (removing meds, tannins, etc).
More savings tips: if your filter has a cartridge type media then when it is time to change it you can just rip off the old floss, keep the plastic part, and get some bulk pad floss, cut it to fit and attach to the plastic part with rubber bands.

BTW, a PWC schedule of 50% per week will go a long way to prevent any illness and keep your water nice and healthy.

Thankyou ever so much everybody for your tips I really do appreciate the help...
I have just brought some buckets and some hose so tomorrow morning I will do my first PWC and then every sunday there after..

I must say having flushed my filter the water is looking clearer then ever so I think I have cured my cloudy problem..

I have however noticed that there is now little clusters of white slimey stuff with little black dots within it floating around the tank would this mean eggs?

Possibly, was there a snail problem in the tank before you got it? Suck them out when you do a PWC. Make sure you use your gravel vac when you do your PWCs to keep your gravel nice and clean.

blert said:
Possibly, was there a snail problem in the tank before you got it? Suck them out when you do a PWC. Make sure you use your gravel vac when you do your PWCs to keep your gravel nice and clean.

the person that gave it me has a new biorb and she has snails in there but dont no if they were in my tank previously.. Unfortunately I dont have a gravel vac as wont be able to get one till end of month, is it a major issue with regards to doing the PWC?

_skyla_ said:
just out of curiousity what size tank is it? and what fishies do u have in it? :)

Hi skyla, I have a 60ltr (13.7g) tank and it is home too some neons, penguin tetra, a lonely guppy and black widows (3 are albino) :)
what about yours?

fishy friend said:
the person that gave it me has a new biorb and she has snails in there but dont no if they were in my tank previously.. Unfortunately I dont have a gravel vac as wont be able to get one till end of month, is it a major issue with regards to doing the PWC?

Not a huge issue, no. But, fish poo sinks and ends up in your substrate. It's always a good idea to get it out. You don't need to go crazy on it and spend all day vacuuming it out but if you give it a good vacuuming every time you do a PWC it will aid in keeping your tank healthy and clean.

Back
Top Bottom