Cloudy water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Not sure why my tank is clouding up. I suspect a bacterial bloom. What do you guys think?

image-3476033871.jpg

Not sure why my tank is clouding up. I suspect a bacterial bloom. What do you guys think?

View attachment 139396

Hello Aa....

If you're not performing large, weekly water changes, then you should consider doing them. Change out half the water every week and start using a good, dense filter media to remove the floating particles in the water. I've used several brands and I think ACUREL has an excellent product.

B

I would carry out a water test first though to see what ammonia is doing. If you have high ammonia (which you probably do if you don't do water changes) this will be the cause.

If ammonia is fine, try lowering your tank temp and see how you get on.

H2OJO said:
I would carry out a water test first though to see what ammonia is doing. If you have high ammonia (which you probably do if you don't do water changes) this will be the cause.

If ammonia is fine, try lowering your tank temp and see how you get on.

Ok I'll run a water test. I do Pwcs bit they are small and frequent. This week it's been every other day. But usually I'm on top of it with a 10 percent every day.

Did a 50% pwc today. Water is still cloudy. Not sure why. Ammonia is at .25 ppm. I'm considering getting a UV sterilizer

My water was a little cloudy for awhile. Today i changed 60-70 percent of my water. Clearest it's been in a month or so. Usually I do just 20% a week. I'm thinking once a week larger ones (40-50%) work better.

Cloudy Tank Water

It get 12 hours.

Hello again Aa...

If your tank hasn't been running long, then this could be the reason for the cloudy water. It can take months for the water, plants and fish to settle the tank chemistry. Bacteria can increase and decrease, plants can decay and dissolved fish wastes can all contribute to unsettled water.

You simply need to set up and follow a sound tank management routine that includes large, frequent water changes and do a good job of vacuuming the substrate where possible.

If you have a planted tank, then give the plants sufficient lighting. Most are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. Set the lights on timers. Feed sparingly, but follow a routine. Dose the ferts if you use them according to instructions.

Most tank problems happen at the beginning of the tank set up, because nothing is settled, there's no routine. Get organized with your maintainence, do things on time and give the tank time to settle.

I've used an extra HOB with a good polyfiber medium and that helps attract and hold particles in the water. You can use it until the water clears.

No need for extra and expensive bells and whistles. Stick with the basics. Fewer steps, means fewer things to remember to do and less chance for errors in tank management.

B

Did a 50% pwc today. Water is still cloudy. Not sure why. Ammonia is at .25 ppm. I'm considering getting a UV sterilizer
i have a uv sterilizer in my tanks and i love it. Best thing i did for my tanks. Crystal clear water and it even cleared up my cloudy brackish water tank which had a hella bacteria bloom going on.

Back
Top Bottom