Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you mean .1-.2 on that ammonia? Either way it's still too high. I would do at least another small water change, if not a bigger one. Also, did you rinse your filter in tap water or dechlorinated water? At this point I think the stress of toxins in the water will be more than the stress of a water change.

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #12
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second increasing your water changes and investing in a decent test kit. Also realize that adding both melafix and pimafix to your tank will cloud the water as well. Healthy water is generally sufficient to heal minor to moderate cases of fin rot. If you do see improvement with daily water changes, please let us know and we can make further recommendations.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Venymae: No ammonia test yet (kit ordered from amazon and should be here tomorrow though); that was for the nitrates. And filter rinsed in tap water with all the dechlorination junk added in after rinsing (though the shark wasn't doing so great before the filter rinse anyway). Any recommendations for rinsing with dechlorinated water?

jlk: I think I'll stop the Melafix/Primafix medication in the main tank as they all look to be fine, but I'll still do a daily water change for the next three days to see if the water clears up.

Thanks for the help so far - let me know if there's any other recommendations!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should NEVER rinse your filter media in tap water. That kills off benifical bactiera that everyone works so hard to grow. ONLY RINSE IT IN ONLD TANK WATER.

No need for meds with fin rot, just better water. You can change 100% of your water as long as your filter media is well established, but your is not, so smaller water change is fine.

Do you have another tank?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #15

Well I feel dumb for completely messing up the filter. I guess good to know for next time! Besides the hastily set up hospital tank for the rainbow shark (who's still hanging in there), the 40 gallon tank is all I have. Hopefully the water changes for the next few days help keep everything in check and safe for the fish.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the water white or green ? Put it in a white buck to see it...
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgiantsRP View Post
You should NEVER rinse your filter media in tap water. That kills off benifical bactiera that everyone works so hard to grow. ONLY RINSE IT IN ONLD TANK WATER.

No need for meds with fin rot, just better water. You can change 100% of your water as long as your filter media is well established, but your is not, so smaller water change is fine.

Do you have another tank?
+1 to rinsing in the old tank water. Simply swish it in your bucket of removed tank water when you do a water change. Unless it is SUPER gunky, then shake it like crazy!
I'm sure you didn't kill off ALL your bacteria by rinsing in tap, but you probably killed a good amount. Starting is the biggest learning curve, it just gets easier from here, so keep on going!
Also +1 to fin rot not needing meds. Clean water will usually clear it up and a good slime coat booster can't hurt either.
I would disagree about not doing big water changes because your tank is not cycled though. Big water changes are actually a key to doing a fish-in cycle (I feel like I'm one of the only people who do them on this forum, guess I have the most time. lol) most of the bacteria is going to be growing on stuff (filter media, decor, etc) and will not be slowed down much (if at all) by water changes.

edit: when I said I'm the only person who does them, I meant fish-in cycles, not water changes. I better clarify that.
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #18

mrvincent: I'm guessing neither isn't a possible answer? I'd describe it as a cloudy clear mix. Maybe a yellow tint to it?

latest update: another water change done tonight, but I've stopped adding the Melafix and Primafix to the tank based on everything y'all have said so far. I am using Stress Coat from API so hopefully that does well as a slime coat booster. If not, feel free to make other recommendations and I'll try to swing by a pet store this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by venymae View Post
+1 to rinsing in the old tank water. Simply swish it in your bucket of removed tank water when you do a water change. Unless it is SUPER gunky, then shake it like crazy!
I'm sure you didn't kill off ALL your bacteria by rinsing in tap, but you probably killed a good amount. Starting is the biggest learning curve, it just gets easier from here, so keep on going!
Also +1 to fin rot not needing meds. Clean water will usually clear it up and a good slime coat booster can't hurt either.
I would disagree about not doing big water changes because your tank is not cycled though. Big water changes are actually a key to doing a fish-in cycle (I feel like I'm one of the only people who do them on this forum, guess I have the most time. lol) most of the bacteria is going to be growing on stuff (filter media, decor, etc) and will not be slowed down much (if at all) by water changes.

edit: when I said I'm the only person who does them, I meant fish-in cycles, not water changes. I better clarify that.

I also do fish in cycles. It does take a lot of water changes. Some people make me feel bad about it haha. But I think is fine as long as you do what it takes to keep the fish healthy.

Its not good to change to much water when you are doing a fish in cycle. You want the ammonia so the cycling process dosent crash. But that also depends on what is in the tank, how big the tank is, how much you feed. So its always tough to make exact standards with these things.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #20

I plan on adding the carbon back into the tank tonight - does anyone recommend reusing the old carbon removed, using all new carbon, or mixing the old and the new packs? (the fluval takes 3 packs of carbon)

And when rinsing the new carbon out, should I use used aquarium water or is tap water fine for that?

Tags
ate, cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, loud, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com