Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really add anything else to what has already being said so I will just reinforce that...
Water changes for now, no medications. Frequent water changes are very beneficial for the fish's health.
Don't touch the filter so much, change the carbon only not the floss every couple of months or so.

When you rinse new carbon you can use tap water. Also, FYI you dont NEED carbon. I have used it in years. I just use fine sponge, super fine sponge, and ceramic rings.

When you rinse new carbon you can use tap water. Also, FYI you dont NEED carbon. I have used it in years. I just use fine sponge, super fine sponge, and ceramic rings.

Same here, no carbon, different types of sponges, ceramic rings, plastic scrubs etc.

Carbon media is optional and has its pros and cons. The main con is that it could be substituted for a better bio media such as ceramic rings or a sponge filter that is intended to remain in the tank. If you rinsed your sponge then as stated the cloudy water will be due to a bacteria bloom as there is new surface area available. Bacterial bloom can cause lower levels of oxygen so you may want to aerate the water a bit more until it settles.

Irregular maintenance of the filter media and gravel can lead to high nitrates also.

Fin rot is takes hold when a fish is stressed. That can be anything from poor diet, not enough food, harassment, overcrowding etc but most fish stress is caused by poor water quality.

Nothing new on this post but just keep on to of maintenance. I personally would use meds to get a grip on the fin rot then keep water pristine as a preventative.

The Fluval pump has carbon, ceramic rings, and a sponge, so I guess I shouldn't as worried about the lack of carbon. Still plan on adding it back, but not as stressed about it. And I added another air pump/stone after all this happened (mainly just dumb luck that I did).

Does anyone have a good idea for how long I should be doing more frequent (almost daily) water changes? The water is getting back to looking clear and the tests are looking good, but I don't want to stop too early with the water changes before the water is ready.

If your ammonia is low, and nitrites arent building up then you should be able to just do weekly changes. Just test the water every other day until your nitrite get over 40 and then you know that should be your schedule.

Back
Top Bottom