Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon aquarium, it's been established for six months. Water parameters are all testing fine, but the water has turned cloudy in the last few weeks. I tried the API water clear drops for cloudy aquariums, but it has not worked.
It seemed to start four weeks ago, about the time I had issues with my lights. (Lights were fixed within a week.) About two weeks prior to the lighting issue, I added several new plants (Vals and dwarf Sag). Other than that, I haven't done anything different or added anything different to this aquarium than I have to my other two aquariums. My weekly water changes do help, but not much or for long.

Oh, also, I changed filter media just over a week ago in hopes it would help, but it hasn't made a difference.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Did you take out all of the old filter media and replace it with completely new media?

I did half about two weeks ago and half about a week ago. I've been testing the water daily since (in case of an amonia spike) and everything is remaining normal.

It's probably a bacterial bloom caused by you taking away half of the beneficial bacteria that was inside your filter. What are your levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

TIMELINE
7wks ago added several new plants
5wks ago lighting issue
4wks ago lighting issue fixed Noticed the WATER is CLOUDY
2wks ago changed 1/2 filter media
1wk ago changed other 1/2 filter media

Ammonia is .15
Nitrate is 15 ppm
Nitrite is 0

The water was cloudy before I did the filter changing. I did the filter changes in hopes to clean up the water, but it hasn't.

What's your stock like? And replacing the filter media probably wasn't a good idea. You should only replace it if it's completely falling apart which can take a very long time. The best thing to do is just rinse the media in tank water and putting it back into the filter during maintenance. That's why I said you might be going through a mini cycle.

I am fully stocked, but have NO plans of adding more. I just spoke to a friend of mine and I'm pretty sure it's a cycle bloom due to adding so many plants at one time. Then I most likely prolonged the bloom by changing filter media.
Apparently I'm just going to sit back and wait for things to clear up :(

The problem could be overstocking combined with inadequate filtration plus replacing the filter media. Adding plants would not cause a bacterial bloom

I have 2 ropefish (medium/10" each), 2 medium angels, pair of GBR, a dwarf gourami, and an African butterfly. All of which have been in there since the tank first cycled (6 months).

It happened just a couple weeks after adding the 12 plants (I only had 2 prior to that).

I'm guessing I need to just wait on the bacteria bloom to run its course? Or is there something I can do? (Add liquid bacteria starter or something, maybe?)

Back
Top Bottom