Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m30w

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I went on vacation for a week and came back to an extremely cloudy tank. I have a 100 gallon planted aquarium and have performed two 30% water changes this week. Took fluval fx5 filter and cleaned as normal and added carbon and zeolite which normally fixes as it had a slight ammonia spike. I waited a day and added "Clarify" as instructed by local aquarium store. I have java moss growing in tank which grew out of control as the fish like to pick the caught food in it, though I don't think this is the problem. Regardless, I wrapped it back up with fishing line. PH is high at 8.0, ammonia is now zero, nitrite is zero, and nitrate is less than 10 ppm. I should also note I had one fish magically disappear during the week. Lights and feeder were on timer when gone. Any ideas what else to do? The clouding is not as bad as when I first arrived, but still cloudy.

How are you testing the water? Your numbers all sound fine, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. It should continue to clear up. What sort of fish is the missing fish? Perhaps it died and caused the mini spike? Good luck

The API Master Test Kit and also double checked with some API test strips. A dalmation molly was the one that went missing. Before I left also had a guppy die of what I think was dropsy. Those were my thoughts maybe it was just left over from the decomposed fish. Thanks for your input.

Just wanted to give an update, gave 2 more 50% water changes but no luck. I put 10 ml of algaefix in it and 20 minutes later it was noticeably clearer. Obviously the algae was the issue. Does anyone know of any negative side effects of using this on a weekly basis in a planted aquarium?

It builds TDS.

If you are having algae issues there are solutions.

How long are your lights on every day?

Caleb

16 hours. Never really thought about it but maybe I need to reduce that a bit.

16 hours. Never really thought about it but maybe I need to reduce that a bit.

That's why. No more than 8 and it should clear up. Any more than 8 on anything other than a hi-tech planted is asking for algae growth.

Caleb

Thanks I had not realized that. I would rather not have to keep buying the chemical, and I'm sure the less the better for the fish and plants.

Thanks I had not realized that. I would rather not have to keep buying the chemical, and I'm sure the less the better for the fish and plants.

Unless it's water conditioner or disease, chemicals never never the problem, only stall it for a short period. You have to find the root of the problem and fix it.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom