Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a cycled 20 gallon tall tank with 7 pristella tetras and 3 cory catfish(that I just added this sunday). The water in the tank has suddenly gone cloudy.
The only thing I can think of that caused it is the new sponge on the filter. It had 'activated" carbon in it, which of course didn't stay in the sponge and flew out as soon as I put it in the aquarium.
I've been scooping out what i can find of it, but should i just do a large water change? Would that help? I've already done a water change this week (on my usual water change day) and I don't want to stress out the new fish.

Thanks in advance

You have a mini cycle. I'd say you have more of a bioload than your BB could keep up with. Do a 50% water change and test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates a couple hours after the water change.

Carbon shouldn't cloud water. If anything it should clear it up.

If you are going to be battling your cycle I would do 25% water changes every other day. This should not stress your fish out. Nothing stresses a fish out more than bad water so weigh benefits of water changes compared to ammonia or nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom