Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jllara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, i have milky cloudy water in my 65 gal freshwater tank. It's 3 weeks old. I'm new at this so I'm sure I've done sonething wrong. I have hod aquaclear 100 filter that has a sponge filter, carbon, and bio block. I have cleaned the sponge once about 3 days ago. The tank has about 17live plants...its holding at 78 degrees. I have 2 airstones in it and about 25 small community fish. I did a partial water change 3 days ago. My water is stll cloudy. The ph is 7.6 hrph is 8.0 ammonia is 0.50 ppm nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate 0 ppm. Will it clear eventually. I do have well water out here but it is a new system and safe for drinking. Any advise? Thanks

Can't really speak with expertise but pretty sure you have interrupted your cycle with the water change and cleaning the sponge. I am *assuming* you used old tank water to clean the sponge in not tap water if not then you are definitely going to be starting a new.cycle because all the BB(beneficial bacteria) are dead

Hello...

Cloudy water can be caused from the bottom material not being rinsed enough. It could be that the filter media isn't dense enough to attract and hold the small particles in the water that will cause haziness or from very hard water with a heavy mineral content. Large, weekly water changes of half or more will help. Also, a dense filter medium like the Acurel products are helpful. The ammonia filter medium from Acurel is about the best I've used. Combine this with larger, more frequent water changes and the tank water will clear up.

B

It sounds like your tank isn't cycled and you have a bacterial bloom. Essentially, you will be doing a fish in cycle.

Start doing 25% daily water changes. Use a good dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime. Don't clean your filters unless they are so gunked up that it affects the operation of your hob filter. When you do clean it use old tank water or dechlorinated tap water. Only lightly remove the gunk. Don't scrub it.

Try to keep your ammonia at or below .25ppm.

Back
Top Bottom