Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marthared

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a search for this and didn't come up with anything, so I thought I'd go ahead and post it.
Can't figure out why my water is so cloudy all of a sudden. I have a 36 gal tank, just set up at Christmas. All parameters are fine (API test kit). BioWheel, gravel, artificial plants. 2 gouramis, 1 angel, 1 wui fang pleco, 1 sumo loach, 1 chinese algae eater--- all doing fine. Did a 30% water change and filter change, gravel vac, but cloudiness was back in a couple of hours. Getting worse. Algae not collecting on glass or plants much-- algea eater keeps them clean. Any ideas?

If you changed your filter media out then you could be in a mini-cycle. It could also be a simple bacterial bloom. Look that term up and see if that's sounds like what you have.
Test the water often and keep an eye on the fish kids!

Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Is the water white/milky cloudy, or is it green-ish cloudy? If its white/milky is bacteria, if it's green its an algae bloom.

1 sumo loach
These guys need fast flowing cool water conditions (hillstream/river conditions) since they belong to the balitoridae. I'd definitely read up on them if you haven't already.

I agree that it's either a bacterial bloom (white cloud) or suspended algae (gree water). If it is green, have you checked your phosphates?

Back
Top Bottom