Cloudy water after wc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hdultra said:
I like Hagen Fluval product. They offer a good media choices and make it easy to clean and operate the unit.
Try this link Aquatic products

There is a model above this one. FX5

I think the 405 will be just right. Thanks.

I asked on another thread about the fluval fx5 because I heard that it is the best. I was told that it is too much for my tank. That it will create too much current. Something like that. I need to review that again.

Yes it is for 400 gallon tanks I beleave. It's not that it's bad for the tank rather than the water flow may to to harsh for some fish.

The 405 is rated for 100 gallon. I does'nt seem to bother my fish at all.

Here are the results:

Nitrite: .50ppm
Ammonia: <.25ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
PH: 7.8

Great improvement! =D How much pwc should I do next(Saturday afternoon)?

Thank you. =D

just keep on doing what your doing until you hit your target.

Ammonia 0.00
Nitrite 0.00
Nitrate 0.00 Keep below .50

Eventually you will hit your goals. Vacume can be done but don't go deep into the rocks. Do it once in awhile when makeing water changes.

Make the changes daily until your home free.

hdultra said:
just keep on doing what your doing until you hit your target.

Ammonia 0.00
Nitrite 0.00
Nitrate 0.00 Keep below .50

Eventually you will hit your goals. Vacume can be done but don't go deep into the rocks. Do it once in awhile when makeing water changes.

Make the changes daily until your home free.

Ok.

About the nitrate, below .50ppm? I was told that as long as it's below 40ppm that it's ok.

Ok.

About the nitrate, below .50ppm? I was told that as long as it's below 40ppm that it's ok.

Yes that's right .40 .50 everywhere you go and read it changes. But yes 40 is a good number. Once you get every thing under control you will want to keep under 40. And you do that by water changes and general cycle maintenance.

You should really be aiming for under 20. People here will tell you 40 is acceptable before a water change, but after you should be under 20.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
You should really be aiming for under 20. People here will tell you 40 is acceptable before a water change, but after you should be under 20.

They said it should be under 40. But I will be aiming for under 20ppm just to keep the tank healthy :)

Roy - with your planted tank it won't be an issue... your plants will help keep your nitrates in check. One of the great benefits of keeping live plants. You want to have 10-20ppm nitrate in a planted tank. Higher light tanks actually have to have Nitrate added to the tank because the fish waste is not enough for the plants...

They said it should be under 40. But I will be aiming for under 20ppm just to keep the tank healthy :)

Roy, That is right keep it as low as you can with forty being the max and a warning to do somthing. Keep up with what your doing and worry about nitrates later.
Ammonia and nitrites are you main goals to correct right now.

fort384 said:
Roy - with your planted tank it won't be an issue... your plants will help keep your nitrates in check. One of the great benefits of keeping live plants. You want to have 10-20ppm nitrate in a planted tank. Higher light tanks actually have to have Nitrate added to the tank because the fish waste is not enough for the plants...

Why is that you have to add nitrates with high lighted tanks? Plants are more active/they eat more that's why there is not enough fish waste for the plants? I really don't have to worry aboutmy nitrate level. But I will still check it atleast once a week.

hdultra said:
Roy, That is right keep it as low as you can with forty being the max and a warning to do somthing. Keep up with what your doing and worry about nitrates later.
Ammonia and nitrites are you main goals to correct right now.

Nitrites and ammonia levels are getting low to almost gone. So I know I am on the right track. I will do another pwc when I get back home tomorrow. I am actually having fun doing all the pwcs. Hehe :)

Nitrites and ammonia levels are getting low to almost gone. So I know I am on the right track. I will do another pwc when I get back home tomorrow. I am actually having fun doing all the pwcs. Hehe :)

That's funny and yes it can be fun. I'll keep and eye on ya.

Here are the results:

Nitrite: .50ppm
Ammonia: <.25ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
PH: 7.8

Great improvement! =D How much pwc should I do next(Saturday afternoon)?

Thank you. =D

After being 5ppm, .50ppm is AWESOME! Good job getting that number down closer to where it should be.....Your fish are thanking you right now. :) Since you're aiming for <.25ppm, I'd still go ahead and do another 25-50% PWC tomorrow.

Ok.

I think hdultra is a bit confused. There is a big difference between .40ppm and 40ppm. When a tank is fully cycled you should have 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm NitrItes- and ideally you want nitrates 20ppm or lower, however anything under 40ppm is "ok". As Fort mentioned, in a fully planted tank you must likely will never have to worry about Nitrates. Your plants will use them up as they grow.

Why is that you have to add nitrates with high lighted tanks? Plants are more active/they eat more that's why there is not enough fish waste for the plants? I really don't have to worry about my nitrate level. But I will still check it at least once a week.

Highly lighted tank= Accelerated plant growth=plants use nitrates up faster.

Plants use nitrates for making proteins that are needed for cell growth. If a plant does not get enough nitrates it won't fare well/will have stunted growth.

I know huh :) I am so happy that my tank is doing a lot better than yesterday. I'll do a 50% pwc again tomorrow. So after the 50% I'll just do a 10-15% everyday until it become cycled?

Coleallensmom said:
Highly lighted tank= Accelerated plant growth=plants use nitrates up faster.

Plants use nitrates for making proteins that are needed for cell growth. If a plant does not get enough nitrates it won't fare well/will have stunted growth.

I see. So what is a bad nitrate level(low) that I will need to add nitrates?

I know huh :) I am so happy that my tank is doing a lot better than yesterday. I'll do a 50% pwc again tomorrow. So after the 50% I'll just do a 10-15% everyday until it become cycled?

Everyone has their own preferences I think...I personally always do at least a 25% because I figure if I am taking the time out to do a water change, then I am going to make it worth my trouble. ;) See what works for you; any amount that you replace is going to make a difference because you have such a large water volume. If you see your ammonia or nitrites rising, then you know you need to do a larger %.

Back
Top Bottom