Cloudy Water and Fuzzy Drift Wood ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pe0026

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys, I put together my planted aquarium and have a problem.

The water is extremely cloudy and the drift wood has developed a fuzzy cloudy forcefield type of thing all around it! I am not sure what to do??

The tank has been up for 2 days. The first day the water was a little murky. The second it got worse.

My questions are:

Why is it so murky?
What should i do?
Is it safe for my plants?

Please help!

What substrate did you use and did you wash it off?
Is there any fish or ammonia in the tank?
Where did you get the driftwood from?
Do you have a picture?

I would start by pulling the driftwood out and brushing the goo off if there's a lot.

Hi, substrate was from an a aquarium shop. I did not wash it.
drift wood was also from an aquarium shop and seemed to be treated.
There are no fish.

Attachments

• Fuz.jpg
    Fuz.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 61
  • merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 58
You're seeing a bacteria bloom. This is typical with a newly set up tank. Do you have any water testing supplies?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Make sure you get the API liquid test kit for freshwater. I would also recommend you read up on cycling a tank. That way you can make sure your bacteria is up to the task of keeping the water safe for fish.

You're seeing a bacteria bloom. This is typical with a newly set up tank. Do you have any water testing supplies?

My only problem is that bacterial blooms generally don't happen that way. They need a pretty strong ammonia source to get going and even then it takes a few days. That wood you got looks pretty fresh. I would imagine it's leeching sap into the water

My only problem is that bacterial blooms generally don't happen that way. They need a pretty strong ammonia source to get going and even then it takes a few days. That wood you got looks pretty fresh. I would imagine it's leeching sap into the water

That's not good. Would boiling the DW help get rid of that?

Back
Top Bottom