Cloudy water driving me crazy... Fluval filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 75 gal water parameters are fine: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate about 15. The water has been cloudy for a couple weeks and I can't get it to clear up. I've been doing about 15% water changes every few days except for 5 days I was out of town recently.

I think it might be an algae bloom because I noticed a couple weeks ago that the sun seemed to be getting to it in the afternoon, not a lot but probably enough to cause it, filtering in right through the backing. I've been keeping the blinds closed since then until I can get a heavier backing on the tank.

I have 2 HOB filters on it that pump 800 gph total (Cascade 300 and AquaClear 110). The media isn't gunked up, I've rinsed it in used aquarium water frequently.

My question is, would I be better off getting a Fluval 404? It seems like a lot of people really like them, and would that be enough for a 75 gal tank? Or would the cloudy water problem not have anything to do with the filter.

Sorry for rambling.

TIA

I am partial to Fluvals..I have a Fluval 303 on my 30 gal an my water so far has been very clear. I just got a 90 gal and I plan on using a 404 with a Aquar clear 110 as a supplement.

hmmmm. could be algal sounds mor like a bacterial bloom. hard to say. are you using carbon? how long since you've changed it if so?
:?

I love my Fluval 404 and if you use peat in it it seems to keep the water crystal clear.

On a 75 gal I would say use the Fluval and one of your HOB's.

hey how far down does that peat bring your water in terms of water params?

Like urville mentioned, it could be an algae bloom. I currently have cloudy water but it's not to the effect that it obscured visibilty, it's more or less minor in it's extent but it's not crystal clear. I've had this before and I just was patient, maintained regular weekly water changes, and then one day it was crystal clear.

Sometimes you just need a little patience...

Back
Top Bottom