Cloudy Water (Fresh Water)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbaker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help!!! I am currently experiencing a problem with my tank that is just driving me nuts. My water quality is fine. Everything is within the reccomended limits. However, just before my last water change, I noticed my tank getting cloudy. I completed the water change and noticed the tank did not clear up as expected. Infact over the next day it got alot worse. If I had to describe the water, I would say it's as though it has a brownsih, green tint and slightly murky looking. I have since treated the tank twice with a product called "Water Clarifier" from Tetra Aqua. This has not helped the tank at all. Also, is biological filtration affected by this water problem?

Has anyone had this experience or can you offer any suggestions I may be able to use?

BLB

Welcome to AA bbaker!

How long has this tank been running? What do you have in the tank? It seems that you may be experiencing an algae/bacterial bloom simultaneously.

Hello Jchillin and thanks for the warm welcome. My tank has been running for about 5 or 6 months now. It is a 48 Gallon Bow Front. It currently contains 5 various cichlids, and a pleco. all plants are artificial and a few ornamental rocks.
Also have a canister filter if that makes a difference.

I have completed the cycle of the tank and monitor my water carefully. as of right now, my water conditions are excellent. However, I'm not sure what to expect from this problem or how it will affect my biological filtration or my fish.

If you believe this is a algae/bacterial bloom, how would one clear this up and how do I prevent this in the future?

Thanks again, I look forward to learning more about this hobby.

Have you rcently upped the wattage of light you are using in your tank? Or started keeping the light on for longer? If so, this would contribute to the greenish water and I would increase water changes and decrease the time your light is on.

It it's not really green, but cloudy, I would just increase the water changes...maybe 30% a week instead of the usual 15-20% a week. Or, you could do 15% twice a week. In this case I would also decrease the amount of food you are feeding your fish, and cut down to once a day (if you aren't already).

Water clarifier usually makes it worse over the long run, so stop using that. For now, cut your feeding in half, and step up your water changes. This will clear up in time, you just gotta have patience.

Thank you for the information (lmw80 and Jchillin).

To answer a few of the questions.. no, I haven't messed with the tank lighting at all. In fact it's on from about 5:00pm till about 11:00pm each evening.

I'll increase water changes and get back to you guys. I have already decreased feeding portions at this point. I'll start the patience now though.

It's nice to know I have joined a community of people that care and help others. Hopefully, someday I can return the favor! :lol:

Hey bbaker -

I just started a 36 gallon bowfront and use a canister filter too. I had a bacterial bloom that is almost completely gone after about 2 days. Be patient for another couple of days - can you take pictures? Perhaps that would help the more experienced folks give you more advice :)

MoxieGrrrl - I can certainly take pictures. I'm not sure how to post them on here for the more experiened folks to see yet, but I'll give it a whirl and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the suggestion!

blb

posting pics is easy. First, if you want to post the pic in this thread, click the reply button at the top of the page. Go to the bottom and find the "browse" button. Find the pic you want to post and open it. click attach...type some text if you want and click submit. Done!

Back
Top Bottom