cloudy water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hanzer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so I am new to taking care of fish and have a question. I have had two goldfish in a ten gallon tank set up since mid april. Everything has been fine up until about a week ago. I started noticing that the water had a brownish tinge and was getting foggy. I figured that the filter may not have been working properly and replaced it. However, it still did not seem to help. So, I've been doing 25 percent water changes every couple of days. THe water no longer has the discoloration, but is still very cloudy. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how I can fix it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

A white cloudy haze is normal for new tanks. It is due to a bacteria bloom that occurs in new tank water. It will go away on its own within a week or so.

However, I don't know what could cause it to be brown. Do you have any wood in your tank? Perhaps somone else will chime in...

Try replacing the filter cartrages if possible and wait a week or so and do another water change. If you can't replace the filter cartrages for some reason, then just lay off the water change for a little while and see if it clears up on its own.

What are your tanks ammonia & nitrite levels :?:

How much food do you give them :?:

The white water may be a result of too much of the above.

25% W/C and gravel vac can help reduce the white cloudish water but can take a while to completely clear up.

Louise

Back
Top Bottom