Cloudy water remaining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
32 Gal
18W Acardia FL (pink/replace on feb) + 2x36W CF => 2.8wpg
Presurise CO2
Medium planted tank
Fluval 304 (spray bar outlet so visually almost no flow)

My tank been having crystal clear water for past 2 years but on mid of Jan i tried new fish food for the tank using Sera's vipagran and water become cloady after 4th day and green water was developed within 2 day after using the new food. :x

Switch back to previous fish food and done partial water changes for 3 times within a week and after the last water changes, follow by total black out by covering the whole tank with thick board and light/CO2 off for 5 days.

Green water was gone but the water remain cloudy. Done several partial water (20-30%) changes since but water will become cloudy again in 3-4 days after water changes. Sign...

Two week after blackout, add carbon and water-clear to tank, helps a bit but water remain cloudy. Try Hagen's water-clear for a week then give up on it as i dont wat to upset the fish.

The filter media was only clean n rinse once in tank water after the total black out to remove the green algae as i dont want to upset the bacteria further. The peat accupying a tray was replace with filter flos :roll:

After the black out session, water para remain in OK condition as following

pH =6.8-7.5 (JBL & Sera test kit)(Depend on the time of testing as CO2 is switch back on)
kH = 4-5 dKh (Sera Test kit)
NH4=non-detactable (Aqua pharma test kit)
NO2=non-detactable(Aqua pharma test kit)
NO3=non-detactable (Aqua pharma test kit)
PO4=non-detactable (JBL test kit (newly brought))

AFAIK, normally cloudy water is due to high PO4 but seem the PO4 was non dectable for past 2 weeks so i am really do know wat to do anymore.

Though of redo the whole tank, but i hope that would only be last resort as all the fish looks very healthy and colorful despict the cloudy water (school of Rummy-nose, Neon,cardinal, Yoyo and Pigmy cory also amano, banana and cherry shrimp). :wink:

Any advise my fellow friends?

TIA

With 2.8wpg and no nitrate or phosphate readings...you're in trouble.

Nitrates should be 10-15ppm (on average) and phosphates about 1.0ppm (on average)

Your plants are starving, so any available nutrients are going to be used by the algae since the plants are stunted.

Hmm though of that too. With this whole nutrient system collapsing, i really dunno how to restart. Maybe time to find the Green-stump i store somewhere long ago....

Also though of buying new No3 test kit to confirm the reading.

Btw do you think glosso is consider fast growing plant?

Thanks.

once glosso gets established, it spreads pretty fast. I'm just getting it going in my 75g, so I'll get back to you in a month or so :)

I would not tear the tank down. Cloudiness almost always resolves itself, though it might take a month to do so. As long as the fish are not stressed and the plants are not dying then keep on like you have been, though your lack of nitrate is a red flag. You can use stump remover, which is KNO3 and increase your nitrate readings.

Thanks TG.

On side note, i may also getting Badis bengalensis, i know you have some exp in kepting them. How many do you think i can kept those in my 32 gal. someone is doing bulk purhcase in my area that cost only usd$0.50 ea. Though of getting some. :D :D

I have never kept them, though I was in the market for them for a good while. Menagerie has some.

You ought to be able to keep quite a few in that tank. What I can tell you is that these guys are pretty much total carnivores so you will need meaty frozen and live food for them. I have heard of them being weaned to flake but I don't know how common that is. They are pretty shy and feeding can be a problem in a community tank since bloodworms and the like often get snatched before the badis can get to them. If you are planning a species tank then that will make things a lot simpler.

They are not often seen around here but I would love to keep them if I can get my hands on some.

Back
Top Bottom