Cloudy Water/Shrimp Exo-Skeleton Question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i have a random question about something i've never experienced before...

so my water was clear 1 1/2 days ago and became REALLY cloudy almost overnight. i spent all day trying to figure out way and came up with no conclusions.

water test shows normal results

ph 7.4
ammo 0
trite 0
trAte 10

although one thing i just found in the tank was the exo-skeleton from a bamboo shrimp sitting on the bottom behind a piece of driftwood...

would decomposing(sp) shrimp exo-skeleton cause water to turn cloudy or white?

i REALLY REALLY hope thats what the cause was otherwise i need to keep investigating.

hope someone has the answer

thanks in advance

I doubt it was the exoskeleton, I have rcs and there's always at least on exoskeleton in the tank somewhere. Maybe a mini cycle? Other than that I have no idea, sorry

I had the same issue yesterday. I think it is the cycle!!

I dont think its the cycle either... no new additions to my tank in weeks and its been up and running for atleast a few months and I know its fully cycled... ive added plants to the tank but I doubt plants woukd do this... unless its being caused by the planter thing that holds one of my plants and I hope its not, I was told those things were safe :(

There is good and bad bacteria. It needs to be balanced!!! If you see cloudiness I added live bacteria, it will balance you water and clear the cloudiness. I used Nutrafin cycle and it works great!!! I have no experience with the plants due to no plant in my tank!! Good luck!!!

I do understand the need for a balance in bacteria. But judging by the test levels I would assume there is a balance considering I have no ammo or trites.. im gonna do a wc tonight and see if it helps... the other thing is, I have no shops near me that sell "live bacteria" its all that junk in bottles thats most likely past its expiration date :( so im stuck on that one lol

A couple pwcs would probably be best, seeing as your parameters are good and we can't identify what it is just do several 30%ish pwcs. There's no need for bacteria or seeded materials if your already cycled and params are good

50% is good, for the smaller tanks that's what I do, you just don't want to do too huge pwc, because its said that drastic changes of any chemical including nitrates can stress your fish out. You can definitely do 50% changes every day until it clears though

I have a 55 as well, I do 40-50% a week too but 50% every day until it clears is good. Hope it clears for you soon

Back
Top Bottom