Cloudy Water Sick Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I know I should have been medicating my betta for popeye and dropsy (possibly?) sooner but it took forever to find some Seachem Kanaplex and I eventually ended up ordering some online. I started the treatments on Thursday. I was away for the weekend and had a family member take care of him and medicate him on Saturday. When I came home this morning the water was a cloudy white, which I think was due to the meds, but when I changed his water just now there were TONS of particles and waste everywhere! This is strange because I change the water every three to seven days. I ordered a gravel vacuum but it hasn't come in yet. The tank's been set up for ten months and I've never had this problem. The particles were mostly teeny tiny and fell through the net I was using to try to get them out. Any ideas on the sudden water problem or am I just being paranoid. Thanks in advance.

I was thinking over the problem and the answer just hit me: is it because I'm running the filter without the filter pad? If so, will regular water changes keep the waste down until I'm finished medicating?

It could be, it is safe to use non carbon based filter pads or a sponge while medicating a fish tank. It will keep the water clean without filtering out the medicine.

I always seem to go against the grain here but I do not medicate, period. Let me explain... most diseases in fish are caused from poor maintenance...not enough water changes, inadequate temperature, poor filtering and or cycling, introducing new fish recently purchased from stores and overfeeding, all this putting a lot of stress on the fish. Medication could affect the good bacteria that has been establish in your filter to keep the tank healthy and in some cases stress the fish even more if not used properly. All that said, I would simply keep doing frequent water changes as you've been doing. Waste all over the place, well, not enough cleaning or way too much feeding or both and a good way to ruin a tank. Not trying to be harsh, just giving my advice. Hope this helps and good luck with your fish!

Kanaplex shouldn't kill your beneficial bacteria. In fact, most Seachem meds don't.

Back
Top Bottom