Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is there a specific kind of snail? I have heard horror stories about them taking over the tank. LOL! Thank you for your compliment on the tank! It is pretty miss matched because my children want to pick out a new decoration every time we go to the pet store! LOL! It's pretty random. I will try to post another when it is dark out and I'm not getting so much of a glare. Thanks again for your help

Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba the gup View Post
Is there a specific kind of snail? I have heard horror stories about them taking over the tank. LOL! Thank you for your compliment on the tank! It is pretty miss matched because my children want to pick out a new decoration every time we go to the pet store! LOL! It's pretty random. I will try to post another when it is dark out and I'm not getting so much of a glare. Thanks again for your help

many snails that you can get at a pet store won't take over your tank, i recommend nerite snails and mystery snails. they're my favorite. mystery snails are bigger but then nerite snails are very pretty. they have striped and spotted ones, i love them. i usually get them at petsmart. i have several of them and they've never multiplied. i absolutely love snails! they keep your glass spotless too!

Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you think my frogs will eat them once the frogs become large enough
Old 03-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Do you think my frogs will eat them once the frogs become large enough

probably not, most snails are near indestructible unless they're faced with things like turtles and crayfish
Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The goldfish will probably eat them, comets goldfish love them

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
The goldfish will probably eat them, comets goldfish love them

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

not if they're big enough. mystery and nerite snails aren't really small enough for goldfish to fit in their mouths unless the goldfish are REALLY big. like full size koi. i've had a 4-5 inch goldfish in with my snails and he never touched them.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

The goldfish is a pretty good size! This all began with a fair fish which he is a replacement for, to avoid my children's devastation of a dead goldfish. He kept outgrowing his tanks! My wife rushed out and bought a beta tank when they had won two gold fish at the fair! He was quickly upgraded to a 2.5 gallon tank, and then to a 5 gallon tank and stayed there until I felt horrible about keeping him in such a small tank! Then graduated to a 13 gallon tank and was soon too large for that and I could not keep the ammonia down! Now he is in a 55 gallon living happily! LOL! This goldfish and all his friends have cost me a small fortune, LOL my wife is about to kill me I think!! But I enjoy the hobby very much! Hopefully I have a while before anyone is big enough to eat anyone
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
The goldfish is a pretty good size! This all began with a fair fish which he is a replacement for, to avoid my children's devastation of a dead goldfish. He kept outgrowing his tanks! My wife rushed out and bought a beta tank when they had won two gold fish at the fair! He was quickly upgraded to a 2.5 gallon tank, and then to a 5 gallon tank and stayed there until I felt horrible about keeping him in such a small tank! Then graduated to a 13 gallon tank and was soon too large for that and I could not keep the ammonia down! Now he is in a 55 gallon living happily! LOL! This goldfish and all his friends have cost me a small fortune, LOL my wife is about to kill me I think!! But I enjoy the hobby very much! Hopefully I have a while before anyone is big enough to eat anyone

if it's pretty big i'd go with a mystery snail. don't think even a big goldfish is going to be able to eat one of those. they can be pretty decent sized
Old 03-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would think the goldfish would have a shell of a time passing the snails!! Lmao! OK BAD JOKE! He is only about 6" long right now! If I do decide to invest I will get the bigger ones in the tank! What about the field Traciann system add a whole Nother filter pump or just add media to my existing filter? Or simply add the snails and see how it goes from there?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I would think the goldfish would have a shell of a time passing the snails!! Lmao! OK BAD JOKE! He is only about 6" long right now! If I do decide to invest I will get the bigger ones in the tank! What about the field Traciann system add a whole Nother filter pump or just add media to my existing filter? Or simply add the snails and see how it goes from there?

id say start with the snails and cut down on food. like reeaaally cut down. gravel vac a bit more often, like twice a month. goldfish poop a lot so that can affect it but vacuuming up the poop will help. then take it from there! hopefully that'll help. if it doesn't, you can try seachem clarity, that helps clear it up. but thankfully the majority of things that turn the water cloudy don't harm the fish.

Tags
ate, cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, loud, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Ideas | acronyms »