Cloudy waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great, thank you again!! Sorry about the talk to text typos in my last post! You've been a big help!! Everyone! Special thanks to you crystalbettas, for sticking in there during my pointlessly babbling and bad jokes!! Lol! [emoji23][emoji12]

Great, thank you again!! Sorry about the talk to text typos in my last post! You've been a big help!! Everyone! Special thanks to you crystalbettas, for sticking in there during my pointlessly babbling and bad jokes!! Lol! [emoji23][emoji12]

haha no problem! so glad i could help!! hope the water clears up soon.

It's me again! I went out and bought three mystery snails! Two of them took immediately to the tank. While one appeared to be [emoji88] A couple days went by and he never moved, and appears to be completely empty! However there is a teeny tiny little snail complete with its own teeny tiny shell swimming around in there somewhere! I'm not sure how the tiny snail ended up in there! The empty shell is about 10 times the size of the tiny snail

It's me again! I went out and bought three mystery snails! Two of them took immediately to the tank. While one appeared to be [emoji88] A couple days went by and he never moved, and appears to be completely empty! However there is a teeny tiny little snail complete with its own teeny tiny shell swimming around in there somewhere! I'm not sure how the tiny snail ended up in there! The empty shell is about 10 times the size of the tiny snail

if you see that tiny snail again, get rid of it asap! it's probably a nasty pet snail and might start overpopulating your tank. and once they start to do that it's a pain to get rid of them. they don't usually hurt the fish or anything, but they just get EVERYWHERE. people bring them home all the time by accident. i had a really bad infestation of them to the point where i was scooping out snails with a net for weeks before i finally got rid of the last of them.

Yikes!! My gold fish was trying to eat him! I don't see him now!! That would stink!! Better go [emoji222] hunting!!

Yikes!! My gold fish was trying to eat him! I don't see him now!! That would stink!! Better go [emoji222] hunting!!

your goldfish may have eaten him haha. goldfish, koi, puffer fish, and clown loaches all LOVE them. i wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as lunch.

I really hope that is the case as bad as that is to say! My wife was chasing the goldfish away! Lol! Now I hope they have found him since I cannot!

I really really hope that's the case, I cannot find anywhere! And to make things more difficult. He is the same color as the gravel in my Fish tank

When I look at the color of the tank water , it looks like a weak brownish tea color. That looks like the tannins leaching out of the wood.
Having soaked it for 3-4 days would do little too. When you did soak it, do you remember if the water colored?
If it is the wood, I wouldn't worry at all. It's a natural pH reducer, which you mentioned you need.

Would it still be happening two months after the tank has been set up? I was recently reminded that there is two separate pieces of marimo and they were put in the tank at different times! One was soaked for about four days and the other was only soaked for a couple days if that. They were put in the tank about three weeks apart. The one that was soaked for less than two days was the first one put in the tank. The second one was added a while later in order for the fiddler crabs to get out of the water!!! But when I do my water changes, it does seem to get worse instead of better. And between me and my wife and the nanny they are probably getting overfed as well!

All of that being said, it does have a definite cloudy quality to it as well. I will try to send a better photo

Has been 6 months plus and my driftwood still leaches tannins into tank, Purigen can help.1491072359250.jpg

Yikes! Six months! Nice tank I like the Driftwood for sure! I am a little ashamed to say that I just bought my first master test kit today!! And let me start by saying I was Miss lead in believing that the test kits I had were good enough! My pH is high, nitrite between 2-5 and nitrate is at 80!! It's a mess!![emoji20][emoji20][emoji17] I am going to vacuum thoroughly which will force a rather good sized water change! And hit the tank with a good dose of Quickstart or stressed zyme!!! I believe My aquatic pets are extremely overfed!! Could I be overpopulated? I'm not sure if you caught the whole discussion on cloudy waters

Yikes! Six months! Nice tank I like the Driftwood for sure! I am a little ashamed to say that I just bought my first master test kit today!! And let me start by saying I was Miss lead in believing that the test kits I had were good enough! My pH is high, nitrite between 2-5 and nitrate is at 80!! It's a mess!![emoji20][emoji20][emoji17] I am going to vacuum thoroughly which will force a rather good sized water change! And hit the tank with a good dose of Quickstart or stressed zyme!!! I believe My aquatic pets are extremely overfed!! Could I be overpopulated? I'm not sure if you caught the whole discussion on cloudy waters
Don't worry about the ph for now can use ro water mixed with tap water later to lower it, but most fish will adjust to your ph.. Don't use chemicals!
Consider a second filter if you can afford it, you can never have too much filtration and more bacteria doesn't hurt either. I run two hob filters on my 55 & 75 gallon tanks, and with your critters it may help.

I am a chronic overfeeder myself[emoji11] , try to feed less.
Prime would detoxify nitrite at lower levels but yours are two high I believe. That is why I suggested the second hob filter, if you could get seeded filter media from someone or lfs that would help immediately.

Sorry, I just now saw your first message! Not sure how I missed that! Thank you very much! Appreciate all the advice I can get! At the risk of sounding like a Noob, which for the most part I guess I am. Can you elaborate on HOB and Ifs

Hob is a hang on back filter, I prefer aquaclears they have lots of space for biological media.

Lfs is local fish store.

Lol, ok I'm down! I have a 350 GPH marine land three stage filter. It has the bio wheels on it! My tank is a 55 gallon and it is rated for a 75 gallon tank! After reading your last post I looked for another one and found a 50 to 70 gallon with the same GPH for $30! I would think that would be plenty wouldn't you?

Went back and reread your thread, you have some stocking issues that have been covered already, but many experienced goalkeepers on here go by the 10x rule (meaning for your 55gallon tank 550 gph water turnover).

Goldfish imo should only be kept in very large tanks or preferably an outdoor pond, do you know anyone with goldfish pond?

Plecos can be big polluters, what kind are they.

These two factors would probably be the cause of your problems, and even with proper stocking 10x filtration is no guarantee for water quality, only water changes do that.

Back
Top Bottom