Cloudy weak tea looking water after 6 day set ip help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunasia4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Started a 55 gallon tank I washed all the gravel very well I have no driftwood in it and the filter been running for 6 days ,,, the water in cloudy looks like weak tea and the tank stinks ,,, please help

I put in fish after the third day ,,, the water looks light brown ,,,

Lunasia4 said:
I put in fish after the third day ,,, the water looks light brown ,,,

Your not being very detailed in your information, please let us know more about your setup including stock, filtration, decorations, substraight, ect. These items help us help you. :)

Cichlids , tiger berbs , convict fish , plico ,, I bought a bio system filter for 55 gallon tank , I put in the stress coat and stress eymezes they also told me to put some salt that pet land gave me ,,, I put regular gravel which I rinsed well also fake plants , this is my first tank I am clueless on what to do next .. I also only feed the fish once a day the temp is 76 degrees

Do you own a test kit?
I think there are more problems than the cloudy water. If its brown it could be either a bacterial or algae bloom. The first is from a cycling tank and the other is from too much light. Since the tank is only 6 days old and has that many fish ammonia is going to be sky high soon, if it's not already. Your going to have to test daily and change water as needed.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
Please read this.

Lunasia4 said:
Cichlids , tiger berbs , convict fish , plico ,, I bought a bio system filter for 55 gallon tank , I put in the stress coat and stress eymezes they also told me to put some salt that pet land gave me ,,, I put regular gravel which I rinsed well also fake plants , this is my first tank I am clueless on what to do next .. I also only feed the fish once a day the temp is 76 degrees

It sounds like you added the fish before it cycled. You have allot going on in a 6 day old aquarium. Right now you problably have a very high amount of bacteria cycling the tank. If I were you, I would let the tank cycle for a few more days. You should concider purchasing an API test kit and let us know what your water parameters are showing. I would steer clear from test strips as they tend to be inaccurate and some people on this furum will not even accept those results. If this is a cycle, it should blow over.

Readingexcalibur said:
..... If I were you, I would let the tank cycle for a few more days. ..... If this is a cycle, it should blow over.

Definitely don't let the tank sit for a few more days. It is most likely a toxic soup with ammonia getting higher. I agree the cloudiness should disappear on its own but the ammonia needs to be addressed ASAP.

Mumma.of.two said:
Definitely don't let the tank sit for a few more days. It is most likely a toxic soup with ammonia getting higher. I agree the cloudiness should disappear on its own but the ammonia needs to be addressed ASAP.

That's why I was suggesting the test kit and hinting the cycle is normal. However you are defiantly more experienced, so I see what your saying.

Mumma.of.two said:

What do u suggest for high ammonia? Frequent daily water changes?

Mumma.of.two said:

I agree. I would do a pwc to make the tank water more comfortable and clean for the fishies.

Mumma- what do you suggest on a 55 gallon? 20 gallon change? More? Less?

Also- most fish store people like petco and petsmart don't really have enough knowledge about starting an aquarium. I learned that the hard way. They will also try to sell you tons of chemicals that you don't need. I've learned to do a little research on my own, and I am here asking questions ALL the time! I think most of us started this hobby by doing what the store clerks told us to do.

Bearchumjs said:
I agree. I would do a pwc to make the tank water more comfortable and clean for the fishies.

Mumma- what do you suggest on a 55 gallon? 20 gallon change? More? Less?

Also- most fish store people like petco and petsmart don't really have enough knowledge about starting an aquarium. I learned that the hard way. They will also try to sell you tons of chemicals that you don't need. I've learned to do a little research on my own, and I am here asking questions ALL the time! I think most of us started this hobby by doing what the store clerks told us to do.

It depends how high the ammonia and nitrite is. Eg: If its 1ppm you would have to do a 50% water change to bring it down to .5ppm followed by another to make it .25ppm.

I checked the ammonia level the water turned green it matched number 8 level I did a 70 percent water change and got the level down to 4 ,,, should I do another water change tomorrow

4 is still extremely high so you'll need another one ASAP. Keep doing them until you get ammonia under .25ppm. Every time it's .25ppm or more do water changes to bring it down again. You'll need to test daily.

Back
Top Bottom