Clown Knife and Oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering, is a 180 gallon tank is big enough for a clown knifefish? If it is, would one get along with 4 Oscars? If not, how about a ghost knifefish? Also would a trio of clown or kuhli loaches work? Please give me your thoughts and views on this selection. TIA, Wolf

Do you have 4 Oscars within the tank?

That may be too many in that size of tank...I may be wrong though!

i have a clown knife in with my 3 oscars in a 180 (72x24x24). they get along fine. however, in about 12-18 months i will be upgrading to a 325 (84x30x30). i am planning on buying a home in june of 05 and will be doing all of my final fish tank set ups then.

if you put a clown knife in with 4 oscars in a 180, plan on upgrading after 9-12 months because you will have overloaded your tank (my first clown grew 12 inchs in 9 months, my current one has grown 3.5 inchs in 2.5 months).

I don't have any of those fish or tanks, but would like to start an large Oscar tank when I get a new house. If I go with a knife I think I'll get a ghost.

none of those are bad choices with oscars if planned accordingly. oscars grow faster than clown loaches and you have to remember that an oscar will eat what ever it can fit in its mouth. also, clown loaches are schooling fish and require a group of at least 4-5 to live in a healthy none streeful environment. clown loaches can also get to be 12 inches long so that has to be brought into the equation as well...

in my 180 with my 3 oscars and clown knife i also have 8 emerald corys, 1 bumblebee catfish and 1 12inch sailfin pleco. my filtration turns the water over 11 times an hour (approx. 1950 gph). i do weekly water changes of 25-40%, just depends on how long it takes me to vacuum up the excess food and feces.

when i get to the 325 i will only be adding 2-4 more fish because i don't want any of my fish to be cramped after growing to their full size.

Back
Top Bottom