Clown Loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually did the same thing as you did, except my issue was MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails). They are doing a great job so far, I've had ours for 2 weeks and I rarely see a snail anymore. My dad just got infested too (he doesn't know how) and he's manually removing the snails atm but the loaches might take a turn in there too. Just keep in mind you don't want them to get too big before you take them back or the store might not accept them since they don't have tank space (that's what my LFS told me).

I'll keep that in mind. The LFS has quite a bit of space, and has a tank with an 8-inch one in it, so they could probably put them with it.

They are relatively slow growers too so as juveniles the size issue isn't as big of a deal- just long term

Yeah. That's what the guy at the LFS said.

The Nerites as mentioned are the ones that breed in brackish water.

The Clown Loaches will need to be out the tank very soon. A 23G is no where near enough room for such a fish, and it is good you have several together, but that is not enough room for them.

Assassin snails lay an egg at a time if I remember correctly, but a number of them in different places as they travel along and they look a little like a square with a yellowish dot in it. Most lfs will take them from you anytime as they usually have too many snails too and are easy to sell! They run from $1. from a local breeder usually to 3.99 at the lfs from where I live. They like to hide under the sand.

The Clown Loach and Assassin Snails are both beautiful looking creatures, one might work for your tank and one will for sure not.

Dragonfish71 has a beautiful tank with a bunch of Clown Loaches in it, here (note the tank size) The fish are about the size of a persons hand, though it is hard to tell from the tank as it is so large.
May 2014 TOTM: DragonFish71's 120 Gallon Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
The Clown Loaches will need to be out the tank very soon. A 23G is no where near enough room for such a fish, and it is good you have several together, but that is not enough room for them.

Yes. As I explained earlier, I will be able to take them out of the tank whenever I like.

The Nerites as mentioned are the ones that breed in brackish water.

Assassin snails lay an egg at a time if I remember correctly, but a number of them in different places as they travel along and they look a little like a square with a yellowish dot in it. Most lfs will take them from you anytime as they usually have too many snails too and are easy to sell! They run from $1. from a local breeder usually to 3.99 at the lfs from where I live. They like to hide under the sand.

The Clown Loach and Assassin Snails are both beautiful looking creatures, one might work for your tank and one will for sure not.

Dragonfish71 has a beautiful tank with a bunch of Clown Loaches in it, here (note the tank size) The fish are about the size of a persons hand, though it is hard to tell from the tank as it is so large.
May 2014 TOTM: DragonFish71's 120 Gallon Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Thats a beautiful tank, I have a 150g extra tall with 4 4" clowns. I have to say I think its hilarious the way they bat their front fins around to tread water.

Thats a beautiful tank, I have a 150g extra tall with 4 4" clowns. I have to say I think its hilarious the way they bat their front fins around to tread water.

Yeah they really are hilarious. Mine are just getting used to people enough that they don't run away when we walk up to the tank. I was able to watch one eating a pond snail yesterday, it was definitely an interesting thing to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah. We have this hollow dragon aerator ornament, and all three of them go in there at one time, so we can't see them sometimes. We looked at the tank, and we only saw two, and like 5 minutes later only one, and then we couldn't find any. It's so cute to see them go in and out of the dragons mouth! Lol

Yeah. We have this hollow dragon aerator ornament, and all three of them go in there at one time, so we can't see them sometimes. We looked at the tank, and we only saw two, and like 5 minutes later only one, and then we couldn't find any. It's so cute to see them go in and out of the dragons mouth! Lol
All 4 of mine jam into a piece of store bought drift wood, like I thought this was solid when I bought it lol.

Yep! I have a log/driftwood thing they all jam into

Also an FYI in case you don't know- they literally sleep on their sides/play dead. Just figured I would warn and save you from that heart attack if it happens and you see it before you know

Wow yeah good to know. I was told they are more active at night but mine seem to swim around a lot looking in the gravel during the day. How about yours?

Wow yeah good to know. I was told they are more active at night but mine seem to swim around a lot looking in the gravel during the day. How about yours?

Same. It does seem that they prefer the dark though. They do swim around during the day, but they like to hide in the dark places.

Same. It does seem that they prefer the dark though. They do swim around during the day, but they like to hide in the dark places.

Yeah mine hide in the back corner where the duckweed blocks out the light.

Mine definitely come out more at night but now that they are more used to the light/way my apartment is and the cats they come out more.

The tank was someone else's - so it is years old but I bought it back in April. It definitely had old tank syndrome and we also have 3 cats. So with a the extra cat and toddler attention mixed with all the cleaning and changes it took them a while. We also switched from fake to planted. They seem MUCH happier with real plants :)

Also when I got the tank the nitrates were crazy out of control. Like off the chart. 160 think is the top and it took 2 -3 50% water changes to get it to 80! It was crazy

Mine will eventually need an upgrade. 6 in a community 55g. Our plan is to eventually get them their own 100-120ish

Cool! In the mornings, we see them all go into the dragon ornament, and then them number of times they come out decreases until evening, when they start coming out again. It's really cute lol! They're doing a great job on the snails though!

Thank you guys for all your help. It has been much appreciated :)

How are your loaches doing? I think mine have eaten all the snails they can find, one came up to the top and ate fish food this morning when I fed so I gave them a part of an algae wafer.

Back
Top Bottom