Clown loach advice wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james77

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have 4 of these in my 55g now. The reason for only 4 is that's all they had and wouldn't be getting any large ones in for awhile. I know they say to buy them bigger to lessen the chance of sickness and what not. I purchased them at 3 inches in length. I've done lots of reading about them and I know they will out grow the 55 but fear not, a 125 will be in my possession March of 2015. So for the time being the 55 should suffice correct? I'm keeping the water at 79 to 80 degrees and do two water changes a week. They are currently with my angels so water quality is a priority for this tank. Anything else I should do to make their stay more comfortable? This tank is driftwood and rock and very fine gravel cause I know they like to dig. I have various caves created with the rock for them to hide in. They are starting to come nout more now since they've been in the tank for 2 weeks. Thanks for any advice.

It takes about 6 years for them to grow from 3-4 inch to 7-8 inch. The growth rate slows after 6inch.

Mine started off no bigger than 3 inch in a 36x18x18 tank with 162 litres in. Should be no problems if you keep up the maintenance.

See my flickr page for a full account, set called my fishes and fish house.

I agree to make sure they places to hide. IME, they will want to hide less if they have good places to hide in. Also, be super watchful for ich, and I suggest quarantining new additions to their tank. I have never seen a fish contract ich as much as these guys, not even my other loach species. they are amazing fish though! glad to hear you will have a big tank for them! You rarely see large ones unless they are trade-ins at a store. Good luck!

Brief summary,

My experience of clown loach care.

Keep up the maintenance and the fish will stay healthy. They are more prone to disease being scaleless fish. They also don't like medication as much either, so some types need half doses. Packets will state this.

Make sure they are healthy first, feed them bloodworms regularly this is an essential dietary requirement, it helps prevent skinny disease, this is where the fish just waste away and eventually die. Make small regular water changes, I.e. 1-2 times per week (depending on stocking levels and tank stability).

You will have years of trouble free fish keeping.

My first clowns died of the dreaded ich, I knew nothing about fish when I got them, they were black orange and white spotty all over. I lost a few of my other tank mates to boot. The fish store refused to accept responsibility!
So I did lots of homework. (This is documented, YouTube 4tanks2day tropical freshwater (stills))
Then I got one in a mixed bag for a present! Yes I hear you cry, random delivery but it was meant with good intentions. That fish is my oldest fish in my collection, I've had it for almost 8 years but I estimate it to be a couple of years older. I got a companion fish so at least I had a pair, 6 months later I got three more.

Things were going well and a couple of years past, eventually I built the big tank, I added 6 to the shoal, that was maybe 6 years ago. Everyone since the "gift" is still alive and forms my prized shoal of 11. They haven't had ich once.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f44/new-fish-house-284360.html
(Evidence)

(Yes hiding places are good, the tank should be designed around this fish, quarantine system as already stated is an essential piece of kit)

I must admit and I hope I'm not jinxing myself now. But I've never had ich in any of my tanks since keeping fish. I've been in the hobby for 5 years now. But I've always been a stickler on water changes. At least 1 to 2 a week.

I must admit and I hope I'm not jinxing myself now. But I've never had ich in any of my tanks since keeping fish. I've been in the hobby for 5 years now. But I've always been a stickler on water changes. At least 1 to 2 a week.

GOOD answer! I've had it once in a system, and a couple times with new stock isolated in quarantine. The QT cases don't count as far as I'm concerned after all that is the idea of it, and for me it's proven to work.

I'm sure you will be fine.

I've never had a quarantine tank until 3 months ago. I decided I didn't want to take any chances with a disease in my show tanks.

I started quarantine after the infected pair of loach took out some of my already loved specimens! They were some of my first fish.

Everything gets separated for two reasons, it's easier to pick a body out of a bare tank and the fish I own I want to keep healthy and happy.

That first bout I have never forgotten. There are a host of other parasites and bacterias that can be transferred. The way the shops are set up it is pretty much guaranteed that all fish are host to one thing or another. Its a routine I always use, anti bac, anti parasite, internal and external, then they are safe to "see." It makes it easier to determine what the problem is should any arise if you know what it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom