clown loach nipping at heater suction cups!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europas_ice

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a clown loach to hang out with my Betta, and everything is going great. I'm just very confused because the loach seems to have a vendetta against the suction cups holding the heater to the side of the tank. He'll go over and nip at them, and I can actually hear a popping noise when he does it. I thought at first maybe he was hungry, but I've been feeding him. Does anyone know what he's doing, if it's a problem, and/or if he'll stop?

Edit: Actually, how much should I be feeding him (the loach?) I've been giving him a pinch of flake food every day.

Thanks.

I can't help you with that but I need to ask what size tank is this?

Clown loaches prefer to be in groups of 3. They also get anywhere from 8- 12 inches long.

Some people will tell you they are slow growers but mine have gone from 2 inches to close to 5 inches in just 6 months or so.

Since its just a betta and C. Loach I'm thinking your tank is probably on the small side. Do yourself and the loach a favor and return it. A tank that is to small will stunt the Clown loach and cause it to die sooner. Clowns have been known to live 20 years.

I'm not trying to sound hard, the net is a hard place to show tone..I'm just trying to save you hard times down the road.

But if you have a 55 or 75 gallon tank then ignore my remarks above and buy 2 more friends for him..

edit: I noticed you edited and asked about feeding.

A pinch of dry food is ok. They are scavengers and will find any leftovers. They also will eat snails and bloodworms,etc.

Check out loaches.com they have tons of info on food,size,health etc. Its a must site for the loach owner

*sigh* yeah, I've only got a 5 gallon. I knew the loaches got big, but I thought he'd work in there for a while. Do you have a better suggestion for a 5 gallon tank betta friend?

You could try a Brig or Cana or Apple snail.

Bettas are funny creatures in some can live with other fish/snails or they can't.

My Betta has some ramshorns and Ghost Shrimop with him. I figured i'd try the GS and if he didn't eat them I'd try Red Cherry Shrimp.

african dwarf frogs are actually good betta pals

dont get mixed up with clawed frogs though, they'll eventually eat the betta

(note the dwarf frogs need to be fed FROZEN blood worms, and will refuse flakes unless they're starving)

Although I wouldn't be opposed to frogs, snails, or shrimp in a bigger tank, I was kinda hoping for 2 swimming-around fish in this one.

Do these frogs not need to breathe air?

The frogs do need to breathe air. They swim to the surface to get a gulp when need be.

Back
Top Bottom