Clown Loach Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartosbartos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys was just wondering as some of you would i know i bought clown loaches and really dont have the room for them thanks to the pet store. I bought them in a deal for 3 for $30 they would have been 5 cms each i guess.

Now they are about 7 - 8 cms and iv only had them for a month or bit over do they grow quick early ? but the main question was what do you think they are worth ?

One of them is the most colourful one and has a great nature, the other one is a grumpy *** and is always giving the colourful one grief chasing him around the tank his colours are dull i guess from fighting all the time ! the last of the lot is a very shy loach and hides in his little cave all the time rarely coming out.

I really dont want to get rid of them though :(

I'd say $7-8 or so. They sell for $6 at liveaquaria, which is notoriously high. They're pretty common, so they're not a real expensive fish.

oh ok i thought they would be worth more then that. Do you think Australian prices would be the same though ?

No clue about Aussie prices, but here in the states they retail at small sizes for $7-8 like MFD said. They are slow growers and their price goes up with size. I've seen $60 clown loaches snatched up at 8". They do also have a fairly high mortality rate in the supply chain as well which somewhat increases their cost.

That may be cheap in Australia, I'm not sure.... I know, around here at least, they are very common fish. Every LFS has several in stock.... granted they usually have ich... but maybe its a regional thing?

That may be cheap in Australia, I'm not sure.... I know, around here at least, they are very common fish. Every LFS has several in stock.... granted they usually have ich... but maybe its a regional thing?

Also i was wondering once i get my clown loaches re-homed what fish should i replace them with cory's or another type of loach ? would i have enough space for corys ? i have a 90L aqua one with 2 angels 2 gouramis 10 gold barbs without the clowns

Apparently we aren't charging enough.... lol

Cories or a smaller loach would probably be a good choice Cartos.

Apparently we aren't charging enough.... lol

Cories or a smaller loach would probably be a good choice Cartos.

lol yeah i checked my emails from when i was buying a few loaches and yeah turns out 11.50 each or 3 for $30 and they were only 5 cms if that when i bought them.

How many cory's or loaches could i get would i go 3 minimum ?

it depends on the size really if its 2 inches u might pay 3 to 5 bucks

if its larger then 5 inches your looking at 13 dollars
larger then 5 well its about 20 and up some ppl sell it for 50 dollars full grown

lol yeah i checked my emails from when i was buying a few loaches and yeah turns out 11.50 each or 3 for $30 and they were only 5 cms if that when i bought them.

How many cory's or loaches could i get would i go 3 minimum ?

4-6 is usually a good number to start with. What size tank?

it depends on the size really if its 2 inches u might pay 3 to 5 bucks

if its larger then 5 inches your looking at 13 dollars
larger then 5 well its about 20 and up some ppl sell it for 50 dollars full grown

Those prices are closer to wholesale than retail.

Hey guys yeah iv never heard of prices that cheap cheatah prices aren't that low over here anyway. 4 - 6 might be a squeeze cause I already have 10 gold barbs 2 angels and 2 Gourami fish in the tank ? 90l aqua one tank

this local mom and pop store i got around the block to me had it at those prices
i been to another shop thats in Delancy here in nyc and they had them going at prices any where from 6 and up

i dont know really how it is around where you live
but when the shop owner has alot in the tank
and really would want to get rid of them they would
sell it at any price to do so

i got my clown loach cause i really had a bad snail problem
so i went to the mom and pops sold me a clown for $4 told me
that when it starts to out grow my tank i can always go back
return for a new fish or same but smaller

maybe it's me, but clown loaches run about $10 for a tiny one here. I needed a larger one, maybe 5-6 inches and I was hearing over $40! So no clown loach for me...I did pick up two blueberry loaches though at the right size and they were only $8 each. :)

Back
Top Bottom