Clown Loache killing Neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im just curious if anyone has ever heard of Clown Loaches killing Neon Tetras. Seems like Im having to fish out about 3-4 dead neons every day (some at daytime, some in the morning when I get up). I was just wondering if it was possibly my Loache that was griefing them, or something else. Anyone ever heard of this?

nah clown loaches are like the most timid shy creatures i got in my tank. dont they theyd attack anything

yeh Im thinking the main problem is that some of them just didnt adapt to the change in environment... I just hope the deaths stop soon LOL

yeah i hope it stops too, sorry about the deaths but i hope everything equals out and works out

good luck!

i have clownloaches and i know they wouldnt hurt a fish. they do like 2 investigate new fish but dont keep on terrorising them!!!
They just love snails... :D

How many clownlaoches do people have and so you have any pics?
I have 4. I got two tiny tiddlers yesterday...so sweet!!!

Do the bodies look normal when you take them out, or do they look like the fish might have died from disease? I've also had terrible luck with neons so I know how you feel.

How many clownlaoches do people have and so you have any pics?
I have 4. I got two tiny tiddlers yesterday...so sweet!!!
Do you have plans for rehoming these CLs? Unfortunately they will grow much too large for either of your tanks.

no i don't plan on rehoming them...fish only grow as big as their surroundings. They only grow big if u allow them that wanted space.

Depending on the source/or health of your neons can have a lot of bearing on their out come. My initial group was five neons and I lost two right off the bat. My water params were good. I just added six more and all are thriving. I now have a total of nine neons. These are fragile fish, so I think you can expect to lose a few unless the ones you buy are of good size and condition. I think the ones I lost were due to sloppy/rough netting at the LFS, as a couple of them looked a little beat up when I released them. BTW, mine like any small food, especially freezed dried tubifix worm (crumbled).

one of my clownloaches is around 7cm long, another around 6cm and the other two about 2.5-3cm. I've had my larger clownloaches for around a year now and they aint grown that much bigger and believe me...they could grow way larger if they wanted to!!!

I just checked a special magazine issue that was published around christmas time, in the UK and it says that a small group of Clown loaches can be housed ina 36" x 12" x 12" .
This is from Britains Best selling fishkeeping magazine. 8)

I think they will be fine.

I've heard of CLs reaching a foot in length. They can be kept in any community tank that is large enough.

Back
Top Bottom