Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pair of clow loaches. I started out with one, then got the other a month later. The first one would always hide and I rarely saw it, only when the lights were off. Then I got the other one, and to fix this problem I took some rocks out and made a nice little cave for the both of them, and they now live in it. Are clown loaches soposed to hide? I though that they were the less shy type out of the loaches. Since I have the cave, I can see both of them, but I wish I could see them move around the tank more.

Its okay if they hide. Some people have ones that are constantly out while others never see theres. sometimes though if you switch things around in theyre ttank they get a little confused and hide or sometimes are just happy to finally have a hiding spot. like i said its perfectly natural,give them some time and youll see them.

My clowns hide quite frequently, they are shy and it is perfectly normal. Clowns prefer groups, I have 5. When they school together they tend to come out more.

Yup - same as above. My clowns will come out during feeding time - they almost feed from my fingers now, but they do prefer to hide out under the bright light.

If you want to see them more often maybe get weaker lights - unless you have live plants of course :wink:

Mine hide sometimes but they are really active most of the time

Yes i do have 4, which i think they are more comfortable in their own company, but mine are TINY and they school not only with each other but with my corys and my serpae tetras, whatever they think they are at the moment.. LOL. i also find them all hiding with my cories sometimes too.

I just put mine in the 125 gal this past weekend, they are loving the space. 3 are abot 1 inch and 2 are about 1 1/2 inches. They are so funny to watch. They were imitating the CAE one morning, everything he did they did. He didn't seem as impressed as I was.

yeah mine used to always be out no matter what and super curious but ever since i changed to brighter lights they've been hiding more. when my plants establish themselves i'll be seeing them more for sure

I bought three clown loaches around a month ago, and at first they were incredibly skittish. I almost never saw them, though sometimes if I sat still for a while they would poke around briefly and warily, never leaving the safety of overhanging plants/decorations for even a moment. I was worried that I had just bought timid loaches that I would never see, like many people say they have.

Then I did five things that I think really helped them become bolder.

1) I made more caves for them all around the aquarium (mostly out of pvc pipes) so that they feel safer venturing out, knowing safety's not far away wherever they go.

2) I made sure there were dither fish so they know they won't be eaten by a predator when they come out of hiding. My zebra danios and tiger barbs are all very active and fearless and work great for this purpose.

3) I gave them some time -- I really do think it just takes a bit for them to adjust and grow comfortable.

4) I added a fake floating plant to make the lighting less harsh for them and give them a sense of cover.

5) I got some blackworms a couple weeks ago and started dropping some in occasionally. Pretty soon they began associating me with those, and decided I wasn't so bad after all. Now whenever I go anywhere near the aquarium they're out on the forefront, swimming around and begging for food. I ran out of blackworms a while back, but they're no less enthusiastic now about nearly anything I drop in there. They're practically little piranhas, and it's getting to the point where it's almost hard for the other fish to get any food because these greedy pigs rush up and eat it at the surface, then eat it as it falls, and of course root around afterwards and eat it off the substrate. They even knock the other fish and each out of the way to get at it, clicking frantically. They will also literally eat from my fingers. It feels kind of weird.

One of them -- the biggest one, oddly enough -- remains a little bit more shy than the other two, but only a little. All of them sometimes swim around with the tiger barbs. And sometimes they fight with each other. They're pretty amusing.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I tried for a while to be sure and never put food in where it would still be there during the night, to teach them that they had to be active in the day. That might have helped.

Good luck with yours. I hope they get less shy for you. They're definitely my favorite fish.

As a matter of interest, 3 of my clowns have been hiding for 2 days and then tada, out they come today to play. I used to panic wondering where they were and if they were alright but now I am used to it.

Back
Top Bottom