clown loaches and glass cat have ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

times10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi just noticed a couple of my fish have ich. i have used super ich cure in the past to get rid of ich it worked but i lost alot of fish becuse how toxic and strong the super ich by api is. i have clown loaches and glass cats now and they cannot handle the api medication. my question is what would people recommend to get rid of ich with scaleless fish in my tank linke clown loaches and glass cts please help thanks

Well im not an expert but they will ask your water quality? Ph? Ammonia? Nitrate? Nitrite? all that good stuff.... start now by raising temp to about 83-84

Not all at once!

Ich will not survive above a certain temperature. The recommended approach is to raise temp to 87F, not to exceed 2 degrees change every 12 hours. If the fish are generally healthy and/or water is already near that temperature a slower rate of change is less stressful to them, but you must balance that against the disease which as you know can be deadly.

Be sure you maintain this temperature at least two weeks after the last disappearance of white spot symptoms to ensure the parasites have been eradicated, and observe the same rate-of-change precaution when lowering temperature afterward. Also, gases are less soluble at elevated temperatures so it's generally recommended that you lower your water level slightly so as to allow your filter's outflow to splash, compensating for the lower oxygen solubility.

If your heater doesn't have an adjustable thermostat you will need one that does. I recommend the Whisper Stealth brand if you need to pick one up, but there are several on the market.

Salt is also used to treat ich, but unless I'm mistaken the fish you mentioned are not very salt tolerant, certainly not to the level required to kill the parasites, so heat is the method you will need to use. Get started immediately!

Remember to gradually raise the temperatures. Also, higher temperature liquids can hold less gas (notice how hot sodas fizz and release their carbond dioxide more readily than cold sodas) so you will need to increase "surface agitation" of the water to get more oxygen avaible to your animals.

I typically have dealt with ich using temperature and a bit of salt - but salt will destroy any plants you have. Gradually increase the salt concentration over time - I don't remember the best recommendations but you can find sites with some decent recommendations (I think 1 tbsp / 5 gallons is as high as you would want to go). I do NOT know if salt is safe for snails or shrimp.

It's safe for *some* snails and most shrimp, but generally not for loaches and catfish.

Back
Top Bottom