CLOWN LOACHES need advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davekyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to provide a good home for some clown loaches and cant afford to buy another tank so I was wondering if it would be OK to put in 5 clown loaches into the following Tank set-up and I’m also open to any feed back or tips to better set up my tank with clown loaches in mind.

SIZE:
The tank is a Large 4 foot, that is to say 48 by 18 by 18
(Wider than a standard 12inch width)

Filtration:
Its currently got an Internal Bio Filter running via a Power Head a long rectangular tube that runs parallel to the back wall with a foam filter at opposite end to the pump. The system seems to run well and provides lots of current. There is a slight tinge of red from the bio rock inside the tubing. The stain is no real problem as it blends into the stain from the drift- wood (wood still only a few months old)
To combat the staining problem (more so from the driftwood) which I believed triggered the Bristlenose to breed (just my observation-may not of been that way) I hung some aquarium charcoal in a stocking situated in the side of the tank that has the current and after a couple of days the stain was completely removed. I still get a slight tinge if I don’t keep replacing the charcoal but I like the effect, as it looks more natural with all the wood and plants I have.

Substrate…Average sized rounded gravel, which I darkened with heaps of black.

Aeration consists of an air disc plus an air tube run by a strong pump, which provides plenty of bubbles. Decor consists of 5 large pieces of driftwood (Mid section of tank), 4 bristle nose logs, 3 Rock Caves, & an assortment of imitation plastic/clay Aquarium hiding places to suit the natural look & provide several more hide outs.

Plenty of True Aquatic plants such as anoobis and Java fern and several other potted varieties. Temperature - 27.Degrees Celsius.

Current Population:
12 Neon Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
5 Albino Cory catfish…, which are very healthy and active; as are all the fish!
6 Bristlenose catfish
And toooooo many bloody snailsssssssssss!

I have a stack of baby Bristlenose…They wont stop populating. At this stage there seems to be three separate broods from 2cm – 1cm – 1/3 – ½cm. I’ve enjoyed watching all the breeding going on and the results, as I did initially set the tank up for them to breed, but now they seem to be breeding like guppies. I’m hopping the intro of the clown loaches will offset their breeding habits at least to some degree.

So, with the above set-up and current population, do you think I can get away with 5 clown loaches? I made sure the lay out, has left plenty of lapping room (END to END) at the font and back of the tank. And I’ll make more low level hiding places too. I just can’t afford to make many major changes as the whole set-up has cost me a small fortune over time! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.

You know, I tried an apple snail once and do you know who murdered him. My rosey barb. Not the loaches, the rosey barb. Are you wanting these for the snails?

Well the tnak is 70 gallons by my calcutlations and the clown loaches may help with the snail populations as clowns will eat them. I would say one or 2 would be fine but 5 seems like alot for that setup.

Welcome to AA Davekyn!

There is a thread on this board concerning clown loach size and the fact that they get to big for most tanks (near the bottom of page one right now).I think you will find that to be the case for you too.

I've never had them for this very reason.They are slow growers,or so I've read,but they get big.As they grow you will become overpopulated and end up removing the fish imo.

There are other loaches that stay small that will help with the snail poulation if thats the reason for adding the clowns.

HTH

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys,
Well I have to agree that clown loaches get big (too big); for my set up anyways. I just wanted to be sure and given the replies I have been getting I will be researching other fish that eat snails.

“Lovemybarbs” Nice snail, sorry to hear about its loss. I think barbs may be a little aggressive for my tetras and may become fin nippers to the kinds of fish I may want to keep. (I will get some barbs for my smaller tankJ) Thanks for the referral on the Yo-Yo,s I also have a smaller tank 2 ½ foot (30/14/12) with a snail problem and will consider other snail eating fish for both my tanks. Awsome photos by the way!

Thanks richie_stang, was not quite sure about how many gallons my 4 foot tank was. Will keep that measurement in mind.

Thanks for the welcome SCFatz, and yep, that what I wanted the clowns for. I was given ONE lone clown loach by a friend. Apparently it killed his peppered corry. His tank is smaller than my 30inch one, suffice to say that reason alone coupled with that loach being alone was reason enough. I am keeping him in my 30inch only as a temporary thing. He is the only fish in that tank and I change the water regularly. Today I will ring around to trade him off, as he is a fine looking specimen. I love clown loaches but feel I would not do them justice unless I set-up a 6 foot tank especially to suit them.

Thanks again guys, I’m off to research snail eating fish – I know one could kill of a few with chemicals, but I would rather not.

Back
Top Bottom