Clown Loaches only come out at feeing time. Normal? What to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I have 5 clown loaches, 4 gourami, and a royal pleco in my tank.
The clowns only make an appearace at feeding times. They hang out for about 10 min, then go back into their hollow tree stump "hiding place".

When they are out, I see no aggression against them by the other fish.
I'm worried because they are now about 2" long each, and somehow they all nestle up in this one decoration somehow. Also, if they are eating and the tank light comes on they stop eating and scurry back into the darkness.

What can I do?
It's at the point where I'm only putting the light on about 1hr. a day, but they still don't want to be out of the tree stump. I bought a large "sunken ship" ornament, hoping they would migrate to somewhere with more space, but no dice.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jay

I own 5 clown loaches myself and see a similarity. I have 3 that never hide and are a little skiddish at first, but quickly get over it, and I have 2 more that practicaly live hidden away, but come out when they think no one is in the room. I think this may be part of their personality and there is nothing wrong. They just dont like activity around the tank and avoid it. This is why it is important to provide them with plenty of hiding caves or places.

I also found that if I stay relativly still, they will poke their heads out and swim around.

Re: Clown Loaches only come out at feeing time. Normal? What

turbovr6 said:
They hang out for about 10 min, then go back into their hollow tree stump "hiding place".

...they all nestle up in this one decoration somehow. Also, if they are eating and the tank light comes on they stop eating and scurry back into the darkness.

aquarious said:
I have 2 more that practicaly live hidden away, but come out when they think no one is in the room.

I feel like I'm reading about my own three loaches. LOL. Same behavior. They'll eventually get used to you. One of mine is out almost all the time now, even when the light is on. :D

well it's good to hear this is somewhat "normal" behavior. it's just a shame I never get to see them much. I have had them for about 6 months.

Thanks again for the info!

I have four, three are out all the time, and one hides all the time. I only see the fourth loach at feeding time, or when he thinks no one is around, which is a shame. I really wish i would see him more, he has four stripes instead of the normal three. (its really cool looking).

I only have one loach (more to come soon) and hes been in the tank about a year. I had one of those fake driftwood pieces with the little cave holes and he pretty much stayed in there with the pleco. Although the loach would always be out swimming in the tank near the time I walk in from work which is when I feed them.

They both were getting a bit too big to keep safely going through that hole though, and the thing was kind of a fish graveyard. I just rescaped the tank with real driftwood and while the pleco is a nervous wreck hiding in the plants the loach is out and about nosing around and seems happy.

hsherman1986 said:
I really wish i would see him more, he has four stripes instead of the normal three. (its really cool looking).

Can you post a pic of this? That would be cool to see.

let me see if i can get my dads digi, and i will try to get some pics of him.

You could somehow arange the tank so that they feel protected in an area that you can actually see them. For example If you put rocks on the left or right part of the tank but not really attached to the glass, they may "hide" there, but not from you!

I have aligned logs and things so that I can keep sight of my larger raphael cat who is at war with the light. (ever seen benchawrmers, the 'albino' brother? yeah, thats my catfish...) But if your fish are also tryin to hide from activity in the room, this may only stress them out.

It just depends on their personality. Mine are almost always out and about. And when I come close to the tank, they come right up to the front and beg for food like little dogs.

My skunk botia hide anytime I go near the tank and the large female shares a small coral plastic cave with a 5 inch common pleco. When I had my clowns they were small and always ran around the tank chasing each other around and almost never hid.

Maybe it is a trait of wild vs. captive bred?

Back
Top Bottom