clown loaches.. pros, cons and everything else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cb172635

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys i have 1 clown loach in my tank.. be is still small and he seems to be an awesome fish but when he gets to full size are his behavior patterns going to change? should i get more of them to reduce aggression or will that escalate it? whatsa good number to have together and what other fish does it get along with good and or not get along with?

They like to be in bigger groups - but keep in mind they get really big so you'll need a big tank for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They aren't really aggressive at all. They do weird things- like play dead. Make sure you have hides for him. I would look into getting a friend for him though. More the better if you have space

They aren't really aggressive at all. They do weird things- like play dead. Make sure you have hides for him. I would look into getting a friend for him though. More the better if

yea i was wondering why he would lay on his side under one of my rocks lol and i have a 55 gallon so i have plenty of space. thank you! any more info on the fish for me like maybe there full size or fish they go good with

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+885+873&pcatid=873

Good info. Most people don't realize they grow so big. They grow to be up to a foot long and they carry a heavy bioload

The suggested tank size for them is honestly even bigger than what we have. So we so tons of water changes and are planning on an upgrade in tank size. We have a 55g and have 6. (We got the tank from someone who was moving - I wouldn't have pit loaches in it due to them needing to be in groups and the size)

They're peaceful little dudes so pretty much any other non-aggressive that likes the same water parameters would work

Also make sure you have some caves/hides for them :)

You can get more of them and not to worry too much on their size . Mine has grown half an inch in six months.just add small caves and hiding places . They are my favourite species.

Mine grew super fast! They're all about 4 inches now :)

A mixture of everything! Hahahaha pellets flakes brine shrimp they loooove the shrimp.

Thats funny. My clown loaches will not eat brine shrimp at all. Live, frozen or freezedried! I even had two bamboo shrimp in with them for a while without any attacks... Now if you put bloodworms in there.... Then its go time ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Huh. Maybe I will try blood worms for them as a treat

Mine will chase my tetra around the tank until the tetra drop their blood worms

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They aren't really aggressive at all. They do weird things- like play dead. Make sure you have hides for him. I would look into getting a friend for him though. More the better if

yea i was wondering why he would lay on his side under one of my rocks lol and i have a 55 gallon so i have plenty of space. thank you! any more info on the fish for me like maybe there full size or fish they go good with
55 gallon isn't that big, at a 10-14" they will have trouble turning around but they grow slowly, I would have atleast 4 of them.

Like other loaches they can get ich easily and don't react well to medications. They will eat snails so that's a plus.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom