Clown Loaches Too Big...What Else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 55-gallon tank with 4 gouramis and 5 Platies. Clown Loaches are just bigger than I want in this tank, and I know they would knock over my plants as they get larger. I really like the way they look though. Most fish have color, but not a whole lot of pattern. Are there any other fish someone would recommend that have interesting designs like the Clown Loach, but won't get as large and are compatible with what I currently have in the tank?

Interesting designs but still in the loach family are yoyo's or kuhli loaches.Not especially colorful but interesting designs.

I do like the Yoyo Loaches, but a thought comes to mind. I was planning on Mystery Snails. I'd be in trouble if I did that, huh?

I don't know about that, I'm not an expert but do see a lot of planted tanks with mystery snails. I don't think mystery snails eat plants. But then again I didn't think MTS would eat plants and I have tons of MTS on my plants every morning.

I don't think the plants are my concern with the snails. I meant with Loaches and snails.

Rofl, aren't I quick to catch on today. Depending on the size you get the mystery snails at they should be fine. If they are small the loaches will eat them but if they are bigger than the loach I don't imagine the loach will touch them. Perhaps someone a bit more certain of that will chime in and be more helpful.

Also, if anyone knows any fish that won't eat my snails and don't get too large with that same "painted" look that those Loaches have, I'd be interested.

striata/zebra loaches have a nice pattern, not a painted look though.

MTS shouldnt eat plants, unless their starving, i suppose i'd eat anything if i was starving.

mysteries dont eat plants unless you get the big kind of mysteries, and you'd have to go out of your way to get them, they grow baseball size or something

Polka dot loaches or Kubotai loach (same fish different names ;)), are very cool looking. I think they have a better looking pattern than Yoyos. But, like other loaches, your snails may not be safe.

How big are the snails? My yoyos don't eat my nickel size Ramshorns. So if your snails are bigger, then may be safe.

I had a polka-dot loach (see my avatar), Coolio. Don't know anything about them eating plants or snails, but I have to say he sure was a character. And as far as patterns, his was the coolest. (y)

Yo yo loaches are awesome. I keep a trio in a 45 gallon and they are very entertaining! Your tank isn't stocked too heavily so I think you could get away with 5 if you wanted to. IMO they are more interesting to watch when kept in groups of at least 3, so keep that in mind. One more thing- I used to keep a decent-sized apple snail with my loaches, and I'm pretty sure they harrassed it to death. Just something to consider.

Be aware though, that yoyos grow very quickly (I have 5 that have gone from 3/4" to 3½" in just 7 weeks), and will get to a full 6" within 6-8 months.

Jeez, mine haven't! They grew quickly at first, and then have started to level off, or at least grow pretty slowly. Mine are now nearing 4 inches, eating high-quality flake and pellet food as well as frozen. I do water changes every 7-10 days in that tank.

I need to get some mutant Canadian loaches LOL!!!

I'm afraid a Loach, even just one, would overshadow the rest of the fish in the tank, as Gouramis are currently the largest ones in the tank.

Hmmm... interesting. I don't think they will overshadow your other fish, rather than occupy a different niche. True, they are very active, but IMO they will still do fine. If you're worried about loaches outcompeting your other fish for food, remember that gouramis can be pretty scrappy and territorial themselves!

If you like loaches, give them a try. I think you'll like them even more then.

severum mama said:
Jeez, mine haven't! They grew quickly at first, and then have started to level off, or at least grow pretty slowly. Mine are now nearing 4 inches, eating high-quality flake and pellet food as well as frozen. I do water changes every 7-10 days in that tank.

I need to get some mutant Canadian loaches LOL!!!

There is your problem...I feed only NLS and high-quality frozen foods, and do 75% water changes every 4-5 days....increase your water-change size and frequency and see what happens.

By the by, filtration is mechanical/biological only, and at a turnover rate of 15x/hour...temp is at 78.5ºF

I feed NLS too, as well as frozen. They love it, but they just aren't growing as quickly as yours. My temp is 80, and I do 40-60% pwcs every time. My tank is probably stocked more heavily than yours. I don't think mine have a problem, they just aren't growing as quickly anymore. As of late they've been getting picked on a little by my female convict and my rainbow shark (which has tripled in size since June and is now much larger than the loaches). Maybe that has something to do with it. If the shark gets any more aggressive, I may have to rehome it.

severum mama said:
I feed NLS too, as well as frozen. They love it, but they just aren't growing as quickly as yours. My temp is 80, and I do 40-60% pwcs every time. My tank is probably stocked more heavily than yours. I don't think mine have a problem, they just aren't growing as quickly anymore. As of late they've been getting picked on a little by my female convict and my rainbow shark (which has tripled in size since June and is now much larger than the loaches). Maybe that has something to do with it. If the shark gets any more aggressive, I may have to rehome it.

Probably being out-competed for food, then....lose the convict and shark (and aim for that 75% every 5 days or more frequently), and you will see them grow as fast as mine.

Back
Top Bottom