Clown pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my clown Pleco picked a spot behind the filter and hasn't moved much from there is this normal. And a few neon tetras have died but waters good and the Von rio tetras are fine too any idea what's wrong

My clown Pleco lives in a nook I have built out of some local rocks. I swear he has been in the same spot for two months :) I think it is normal. They come and play when we are sleeping.

They need a spot to hide during the day.

I just got a clown plec a week ago and he camps out during the day in this tunnel/cave thing. They're nocturnal and about an hour after I turn the lights out I see him exploring the bottom. I've been putting an algae wafer out right before I go to bed and I've seen him munch on it and it's entirely gone by morning.

It's completely normal not to see them for prolonged periods! So I've read. He does, however, harass the platy I have that swim through his little cave.

I found out after I got this guy that clown plecs aren't really efficient algae eaters. Figures. But he's grown on me.

Yea I found that out too so I need to get drift wood but that helps atlases I know e fine :) and any way to "make" drift wood to put in

Yeah. I'm debating about whether or not driftwood is really necessary, especially if I supplement with the wafers. But I'd hate to deprive him of something that he needs!

Clown pleco's are Panaques, and will die w/out wood in their diet. Type of wood isn't critical, though pine, fir, or cedar isn't suitable for any tank. Pick up a piece of Mopani or malaysian from your lfs or online if you want something that sinks w/out being attached to slate.

i had a short finned place he didn't move for a day and i noticed he had some mold or fuzzing stuff on him. and he was dead!

Clown Plecos eat wood so a piece of driftwood is a must. They are also great at hide and seek. They will settle in to a safe cave or nook usually near their driftwood and rarely come out. I see mine maybe once every two weeks.

If you have had your clown pleco for a long time without it I wouldn't bother but it wouldn't hurt if you did, if it's a new addition to your tank then yes add wood.

I do, couple times a week just before I go to bed I drop a few in the tank. Hopefully he gets to them before the other fish:) he is gettin bigger and fatter so he is eating something.

Oh....I'm feeding him one wafer a day...:hide: is that too much? I do notice my platy love to nibble on it. But it's all gone by morn and I do see the plec camping out on it in the eve.

I'm going to see about ordering a small piece of mopani on line. Though, I wonder if the LFS sells it...I'd like to talk to them about one of my platy dieing 3 days after I picked him up....:facepalm:

I'm going to assume mopani and malaysian driftwood are different...anyone know if it matters?

Just got the drift wood and not only does it feed the Pleco but looks good! Hopefully he will come out more

Just an update he's moving and healthy! :D loves the drift wood and the little stump cave Thingy I have

If you have had your clown pleco for a long time without it I wouldn't bother but it wouldn't hurt if you did, if it's a new addition to your tank then yes add wood.

They absolutely NEED the wood.

Yay!! I got my clown plec some Mopani last week and soaked it for a few days before putting it in the tank. I put it in there 2 days ago and that's the only place he's attached himself to during the day!

siva said:
They absolutely NEED the wood.

Individual fish may have different food preference but drift wood is a natural staple of clown Plecos and as a result most will readily accept it as you can read in other posts on this thread. I only have a small piece for mine as I have it with African cichlids and he is always under the wood.

Back
Top Bottom