Clown plecos per gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
Moving from my 20G to a 46 bow. Is one clown pleco going to help me maintain or would a second be advisable?

I have 8 Cardinals and 6 Columbian tetras and 1 clown pleco currently. Filled the 46 tonight with a combination of old tank water and new water. Just waiting for the water to clear (new slate and sand) and for the temps to warm up.

Which reminds me, if the water is not perfectly clear but the temperature is matched, would you put the fish in anyway? The poor things are stuck in a 5 gallon tank temporarily. I had to empty the 20 to move it and put them there on a temporary basis. I did transfer my filter to the 5 so the bio-wheel was still functioning. I now have a Penguin 200 and another very small HOB filter running on the 46 trying to clear it.

I personally would leave it at the single Clown Pleco. Adding one may be ok, but they will get somewhat territorial and compete for food. If the water is cloudy just because of sand, I'd let it clear some but wouldn't worry too much about adding them. Better to be in a cloudy tank than cramped in a small space where toxicity will rise quickly. Congrats on the new tank! :)

I agree. Also, make sure to include some driftwood for your pleco- it will be appreciated. Clown plecos do like to eat some algae, but remember that they are omnivores and they'll also like foods like shrimp pellets, bloodworms, etc. :)

Reactions: HN1
Now that I moved the clown from a brown gravel aquarium to black sand, holy cow do I see what it puts out in waste!!! Mercy! I have a piece of cucumber in there and the accumulation beneath it is incredible in just 8 hours. Yeesh!

Back
Top Bottom