Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ADCISCO Send a message via Yahoo to ADCISCO
Clown Spotted Knife Fish

Does anyone have one of these fish? I just got one and I think that the lfs may be a little wrong about it. Said it was a community fish but then when I got to looking online I have read that they like to eat other fish! Should I take him back? He's gorgeous but I dont want to put him in a 50 gallon tank with all my babies just for him to have a case of the munchies! HELP! 8O

Old 02-18-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Don't know very much except that you better not put him with anything you wanna keep!
They are supposed to be twice the predator as my BGKinfe and larger to boot (BKs top around 20). And an ACTIVE predator as opposed to a midnight snacker. All small guests are dinner guests for him!

And big means major tank real estate!

Does that help you until a experienced knife owner posts?

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeh.....I think that Him and I will take a drive back to the pet store tomorrow and he will go back in with his buddy. I wouldnt mind so bad if I had an oscar or something like that but most of my fish are small and my husband got me to Pictus cats for xmas and they have already had a nice little fish eating spree! I mean I really need to update my profile!!! I had no idea they said that they were community tank fish...but I should know by now that they dont know what they are talking about but his is quite pretty. I kind of hate to let him go back but I dont think that he will work out in a 50 gallon with the 2 pictus and the cichlids I am going to get....or at least I wouldnt think that they would. I know NOW that they grow to be quite large and he already is about 6 inches and they say they grow really fast...I shouldnt buy on the spare of the moment! But oh.....how I love fish shopping....much better than clothing shopping anyday! Until someone eats one of your new blouses!LOL
Old 02-18-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ummm you need to tell your lfs that he should learn a little about fish before he suggests anybody take them home to put in their community tank. *sheesh*
Old 02-18-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and I just noticed that my last gold dust molly is gone....darn pictus!!!!!!!! Thank god for the quarantine tank or there would be nothing left of any of my fish!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I took Jack the knife fish back! Got 3 Hatchet fish....hummmm.....wonder what the deal is with me with fish like knife and hatchet????LOL I just think that hatchet fish are extremely ugly or just so strange I just love them. I already have one......His name is Hatch....real creative huh? My 7 yr old has been wanting another so that she could....get this....call him Chopper!LOL now I need 2 more names. I guess I have to get creative! Any ideas send them my way!Hee hee!

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com