ClownLoach Question ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you really have that many fish in a 11.1 gallon. Clowns get to be like a foot ling if im not mistaken. Just a thought.

I don't think it's quite that big is it ?
Regardless anyway, a new and bigger tank will soon be on it's way !!

You think I'm overcrowding currently then :?: 8O :?

I have had clown loaches from 1/4" in size and it takes a while for them to grow. Yes, they will get large, but it will take years. Also the bigger the tank the bigger and faster they grow.

I have read that a Clown Loach's lifespan is about 15 years.

I had one for 6 years in a 20g and he was about 4 1/2" long when he passed on.

In captivity Clown Loaches only reach about 6".

It is hard to imagine that this beautiful fish is eaten as food fish in Indonesia and Borneo, where it grows to over a foot in length. :(

I know, it's unbeleivable, but sadly true.
Bare in mind also, that it is also apparant that some people from those parts of the world eat dog's. :evil:

clown

I'm thinking of getting a clown loach in my new aquarium, so you recommend getting a pair of them? Do u know how big they can grow to? cos i read that they grow to be very big, but it doesn't say how big!

I reccomend at least 3 clown loaches if you are going to buy them. They are a schooling fish and can be quite fun in groups. I currently have three of them and am going to add 3 more in a couple weeks. They are a fun fish to watch school and great cleaners. They love snails.

As far as size, it is rare to see them reach more 6" in captivity.

For more info http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/profiles/blfw0053.htm

We have YoYo loaches in with our Dwarf Gouromis there doesn't seem to be any problems with that, I'm thinking about getting clown loaches to put in with them.

the loaches are good to have aslong as you aren't planning on using the tank for breeding
the loaches are scavengers and will eat any eggs in the tank.
they are really good for planted tanks as the clean in and around the bottom where the plants are.

You would almost think there is a relation somewhere with Clownloaches and red tailed sharks?????????

It may be a bit late for a response to this, but I don't see any problems with keeping clown loaches in with Platy's or Guppies. I have six clowns (I love these fish- they have the best personality of any fish I have ever seen) in with Platy's and some Endler's (very similar to guppies) and some others. Some of my loaches hide in a log- esp. during the day only to come out later at night. Depending on the personality, they tend to hide away very often- although sometimes you will get a real show-off!
I don't know about the Red Fin sharks, but the loaches seem to also get along with other members of the loach faimly and also the cory faimly.
Let me know how the Sharks worked out with the clowns.

On the food topic - a lot of people in that part of the world eat clown loaches (and sometimes dogs and cats) because they don't have much else to eat - you get what you can! If I have to choose between me and my fish, I'm going to find out what gourami tastes like! :p

In the past I have kept clown loaches with this same group of fish, minus the gouramis, and have not had any noticeable problems.
I think the conventional wisdom on this arrangement is that the clown loach is nocturnal and can disrupt the "sleeping" habits of the rest of the community. Also clown loaches do get quite large, although they grow quite slowly, in my experience, and may cause havoc when they reach adult size.

I've read about people having problems keeping loaches with other bottem feeders, like cats or algae eaters. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'd like to add a few loaches to my tank, but I already have Chinese Algae Eater, who defends his territory, but isn't especially agressive to the other mid-tank & top dwelling fish. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom