Clowns/Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whilst getting my new tank yesterday (110l) I fell in love with some clown loaches.

Do they get on OK with Corys? I've not decided exactly what's going in my tank but a small shoal of Corys is a must!

I think they get along fine. There was a nice discusson about clown loaches a while back. Use the search and try to find that thread. Maybe someone could post a link to it later if you cant find it.

Clown loaches get along just fine with corys in my experience. I reccomend a minimum of 3 clown loaches as they are a schooling fish.

Thanks ... found the old threads & a couple of good websites.

What do you reckon to a pair of Clowns? I don't think I can really stretch to 3 ... not with a shoal of Corys and a shoal of some form of upper water fish (still to be decided)

I've just been scouring a couple of newsgroups and have seen hundreds of references to people having pairs.

Also - I've seen reference to Clowns being susceptible to Ich. Are there any preventative measures I could take or would it be a case of keeping a close eye on them and a bottle of Ich treatment at hand?

I had three ClownLoaches, but one died and I now have two. They get on fine in two's, but I will be adding another one or two as personal preference.
Unfortunately, nearly every Clown I've kept has fallen with ICH, but you learn from it and it's relatively easy to kill when you have the experience.

Cheers ... better get a bottle of treatment on standby!!

I'm planning on getting some clowns in a month or so - I'll keep an eye out for the Ich - thanks for putting that in there!

It's definitely worth it, as I say, the loaches just seem ridiculously prone to it. If it's any help, the stuff I use if they get struck with it is a whitespot killer called ' eSHa exit ' . If your Clown's do eventually contract it, turn up the aquarium temprature a small amount, SLOWLY. This will also help to kill off ICH.

G

Back
Top Bottom