CO2 cartridge question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello

I recently moved from one house to another and I forgot I left a pack of 3 CO2 cartridges in my trunk. 2 of the days (this occurred over the course of 10 days) were around 95, but they were in my trunk so it was possibly hotter?

None of the cartridges exploded or look damaged. They are at room temperature. Would I still be able to use them? Or should I throw them away? I rather not waste a pack of cartridges if I can help it. But I don't want to burn my house down either. They are only 20g cartridges by the way.

Thanks.

CO2 cant feed a fire so not combustion, but bursting. I would check where you purchased them or use them cautiously. Maybe just go outside and vent some CO2 into a bowl of water and see what happens? XD

Most likely it will be fine (bike cartridges can take heat from 122 - 130 Fahrenheit and that is only because the seal gives out at higher ranges). Cartridges are probably stronger and have mechanical seals so just check the air pressure and use them! I would keep an eye on them however.

Best of luck (hope the nothing happens LOL), - Raymond

If nothing has happened by now, you are in the clear. Gas expands when hot, contracts when cool. So the pressure inside the cartridge went up when it was in your car, but now that it's down to room temp, the pressure is back to normal.

I can't see any issues with using these just because they got hot. CO2 would not break down, and as far as a fire hazard is concerned, CO2 is used to extinguish fires so you're good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom