Cockatoo Apisto or German Blue Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! So after my struggle to cycle my 28 gal tank with 3 fish in it, I'm finally done!! I'll be heading to the store next week to pick up some new fish! Right now I only have 2 neons and 1 blue gourami in my tank but I plan to have:

8 neons
1 blue gourami
2 dwarf cichlids
3 nerite snails

I think next week I'll be getting the neons and the 3 nerite snails (my tank developed a bit of an algae problem during cycling). I then plan to wait a couple weeks before getting my cichlids which will be my centerpiece fish. I'd love to hear your opinion on whether cockatoo apistos or german blue rams would be better. I've heard cockatoo apistos are easier to care for but my lfs only has gbr's and I'd need to special order cockatoos.

Yeah my LFS doesn't have cockatoo's either but they have contact with a good breeder who lives nearby so they could get some for me if i requested it.

I love my GBR, he's so colorful and spunky. They are both great fish though.

I'd try to find a breeder if you want GBR's. The lfs stock often doesn't live long.

My LFS produces very healthy fish and is praised by other members who live in my area so I'm not really worried about the quality of their GBR's. A lot of the fish they sell they breed there too.

I'd rehome the gourami before you add any cichlid. Then, I agree either are a win.

If you go the GBR route, make certain that they were raised in water similar to yours.

I'd rehome the gourami before you add any cichlid. Then, I agree either are a win.

If you go the GBR route, make certain that they were raised in water similar to yours.
Well the gourami I've had for over a year and he's incredibly peaceful, probably the most shy fish in my tank, so I really don't want to get rid of him. He's also my mom's favorite fish so I don't think that's going to happen. Why do you say he should be rehomed?

My LFS produces very healthy fish and is praised by other members who live in my area so I'm not really worried about the quality of their GBR's. A lot of the fish they sell they breed there too.
That's fantastic. I've had back luck with GBR's even from the best lfs I've ever visited. I'm certainly not saying this is your fate, but in general, if you can get a GBR from a breeder, that is best. :)

Well the gourami I've had for over a year and he's incredibly peaceful, probably the most shy fish in my tank, so I really don't want to get rid of him. He's also my mom's favorite fish so I don't think that's going to happen. Why do you say he should be rehomed?

Because longer term, I don't think they are compatible. The SA cichlids will not appreciate a gourami as they mature and there isn't enough footprint in your tank to stock both. If you like the gourami, why not keep it as the centerpiece, rehome the tetra and go with some smaller barbs (cherry, rosy) or largish danios? All JMO.

Because longer term, I don't think they are compatible. The SA cichlids will not appreciate a gourami as they mature and there isn't enough footprint in your tank to stock both. If you like the gourami, why not keep it as the centerpiece, rehome the tetra and go with some smaller barbs (cherry, rosy) or largish danios? All JMO.
That's the first I've heard of it. I think I'll take my chances though. I'll make sure to watch them though as they mature and if I see any signs of aggression, I'll make sure to separate them.

arent gouramis top swimmers? and if im not mistaken,dwarf cichlids live on the bottom,i dont see them being close enough to cause a problem.

That's the first I've heard of it. I think I'll take my chances though. I'll make sure to watch them though as they mature and if I see any signs of aggression, I'll make sure to separate them.

Good luck. Keep an eye out and a plan b in mind and you'll be fine.

arent gouramis top swimmers? and if im not mistaken,dwarf cichlids live on the bottom,i dont see them being close enough to cause a problem.

Mid to top. In that size of a tank there isn't enough height to allow for the preferred stratum of the fish. "Dwarf cichlids" could be a lot of different species which all have their own behaviors. We have 4 pairs of apistos, n. anomola a breeding pair of rams and 4 tanks worth of fry. I wouldn't try any of them with a gourami. They simply shouldn't be in the same tank IMO.

Good luck. Keep an eye out and a plan b in mind and you'll be fine.

Mid to top. In that size of a tank there isn't enough height to allow for the preferred stratum of the fish. "Dwarf cichlids" could be a lot of different species which all have their own behaviors. We have 4 pairs of apistos, n. anomola a breeding pair of rams and 4 tanks worth of fry. I wouldn't try any of them with a gourami. They simply shouldn't be in the same tank IMO.
ok,i dont have experience with either,so ill listen to someone who does.

Back
Top Bottom