coldwater fish temperature ranges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onimusha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi I was just wondering u see as when I went to move a decoration in tank, the water felt a little warm, I checked the thermometer and it was just in the safe green part which is your tropical fish preferred temperature yeah. im sure its just the room temperature doing this and later on it it will drop back below the green mark. the coldwater fish seem fine anyway. I just wondered does the temperature effect the goldfish health? at times on youtube I see where people have tropical with coldwater fish, it seems wrong lol but the fish seem happy oddly enough.

hi I was just wondering u see as when I went to move a decoration in tank, the water felt a little warm, I checked the thermometer and it was just in the safe green part which is your tropical fish preferred temperature yeah. im sure its just the room temperature doing this and later on it it will drop back below the green mark. the coldwater fish seem fine anyway. I just wondered does the temperature effect the goldfish health? at times on youtube I see where people have tropical with coldwater fish, it seems wrong lol but the fish seem happy oddly enough.

Anything below 74 will be ok but the important is to make sur the temperature doesnt vary more than 2degrees per hour or they can die from the stress. As long as you can gradually diminish its gonna be fine. If its gonna swing down just keep the current temperature.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

im sure I read that heated water holds less oxygen, its worrying yeah last thing u want is coldwater fish gasping at the top yeah. I wonder how they get away with it on youtube, the things I see at there its like lucky streak.

im sure I read that heated water holds less oxygen, its worrying yeah last thing u want is coldwater fish gasping at the top yeah. I wonder how they get away with it on youtube, the things I see at there its like lucky streak.

I doubt your tropical temperature range would prevent them from getting their oxygen unless you have too little to no surface movement and the amounts of ammonia in the water are exceeding.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

iv got the filter close to the surface so theres movement :) most people fully submerge filter due to the noise. thanks for the advice :)

No problem, but as I said try to slowly diminish temperature if you can. If you cant then keep it stable, recap :) And dont forget to test your water ;)

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

coldwater fish

This may be totally wrong, but maybe you could float some ice in a clean plastic baggie?

have no idea if this works or is a good idea, but may be worth a try.

coldwater fish

Of course, again like others have said, you don't want the temperature to fluctuate too much, so the ice idea may not be a good one.

This may be totally wrong, but maybe you could float some ice in a clean plastic baggie?

have no idea if this works or is a good idea, but may be worth a try.

This is actually a common practice in summer time. The problem with this technique is it doesnt give long lasting results and requires constant change of ice or watching the ice to not make water too cold. Another option is aquarium fans, a bit on the expensive side but very efficient.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

It depends on the cold water fish you keep. A lot of them range from cold to subtropical, sometimes tropical ranges, so a warmer tank may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Back
Top Bottom