Collecting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I brought home 2 darters (one died of stress) and I'm

Trying to get that one to eat i tried beef heart and chopped up worms he did not care Is he not eating because of being in a new environment or not knowing what to eat please help me get him to eat

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish dont need to know what to eat as its built into anything living and comes naturally. Something else is more than likely wrong.

How long have you had him?
Is you tank cycled?
How long has he been off his food?
Have you tested your water lately?

Fish dont need to know what to eat as its built into anything living and comes naturally. Something else is more than likely wrong.

How long have you had him?
Is you tank cycled?
How long has he been off his food?
Have you tested your water lately?

I just collected him today and I'm trying to get him to eat regular food/live food
The tank is 3 years old
I'm not sure how long he could of ate in the creek
Yes and did a water change both before I went Down to the creek

when i collect wild fish i usually take about 10 gallons of there natural water with me so they will be adjusted to it a little better. i would not use the water in any tank but for the wild one

Did you match conditions? Darters are generally cold water fish and require extremely clean water that is provided by their environment in the form of turnover. The creek is probably full of insect larvae which would be its natural diet. I would suggest live foods. On another note- did you check into the legalities? Many darter species are protected and collecting fish usually requires at least a fishing license, if not more stringent requirements. I'd hate to see you receive a huge fine over a fish.

I just collected him today and I'm trying to get him to eat regular food/live food
The tank is 3 years old
I'm not sure how long he could of ate in the creek

Out of the creek and then just wack them in a tank? Whats your water parameters in comparison to the creek? wild fish if any need the longest acclimation to tank water. I would of done a large water change before adding them, theyve probably never been exposed to nitrate.

My daughter brought home a "minnow" very excitedly after a trip to the springs... oh and some snails too. I think it was a mosquito fish. It did great and ate voraciously, but beware of pathogens. Anything else we added to her little tank died.. I had to make the decision to sterilize the whole thing and start from scratch because she wants fish that will "have babies".... so we got some guppies... and luckily I can feed off extras to my large tank after the kids go to bed...

Back to the Darter, we can debate the merits of capturing natives in another thread. I agree that the darter needs very clean and cool water. If you have a heater yank it after slowly turning it down. Don't know thank size, I used a 20L, but you need to hang an HOB filter on one end so the water runs the length of the tank. You also must have some flat stones large enough for the darter to hide under or it will eventual surcome to stress. As for food, live baby brine shrimp and micro worms are fine. You can forget what you have tried and don't waste your time and tank stability trying to convert them. You will need a few other fishto clean up uneaten live food.

If you really want to do your project correctly and have some very cool fish, look up Jonah's aquarium. They sell what you need.

I was just making the point of watching for pathogens from a native fish. Many of the fish we buy at the store are wild caught so I personally dont have a problem with it. Its a great project if done correctly and if its legal in your state of course.

Did you match conditions? Darters are generally cold water fish and require extremely clean water that is provided by their environment in the form of turnover. The creek is probably full of insect larvae which would be its natural diet. I would suggest live foods. On another note- did you check into the legalities? Many darter species are protected and collecting fish usually requires at least a fishing license, if not more stringent requirements. I'd hate to see you receive a huge fine over a fish.

Yeah this sepsis is common throughout my state and I have a fishing lisncese

Back
Top Bottom