College shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if I could do a planted 5g (10w screw in compact fluorescent) without a filter for my RCS or if there were a nearly silent air pump.

Either a whisper HOB or submersible filter (e.g. Elite) will really be effectively silent if you set them up right. I am sensitive to sound and can use either.

internal filter will do. though the aquaclear hobs dont make any sound. the only sound that bothers me is if the water drops.

Normally I'd say get a quiet HOB or internal filter, but the actual answer to your question is yes. You can get a quiet air pump to run a sponge filter or go without filter entirely if you're willing to do once-twice weekly 50% water changes. RCS are so low bioload.... just don't get froggy with it and add a school of Pacu. lol

I was thinking about trying to put it by the window and let the riccia/hygro do its job, but the problem is I don't know if that'll be enough. I'm not totally sure how many I have, but I'd guess around 15 adults and 20+ babies?

I second the AquaClear HOB filters; they're near inaudible on the lowest setting.

I wouldn't go without a filter. I raise RCS for my lfs. RCS are extremely sensitive to any ammonia and will die even at what is considered "non-toxic" levels.

Back
Top Bottom