Color Aquarium Background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What color background planted tank?

• Black

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Blue

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • White

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Dark blue. I bought a bunch of background for both my tanks that is dark blue on one side and black on the other. I thought black would really be "cool" ........ but no ..... it just didn't hack it in either tank with different substrates.

The pics in my profile make the dark blue look "lighter" blue due to the effect of the flash.

Here's a "so-so" 60 second video that shows my blue background against a 60% black & 40% natural substrate.

29HappyDays_zpsc72c893a.mp4 Video by Paul1792 | Photobucket

thanks for the help and praise guys!
luckily i found a background that had black in 1 side and dark blue in the other. nice tank paul! thanks for the reference. ill be trying both sides out.
thanks for the tip hawkins, will vegetable oil or corn oil work?

I have found that a black shiny plastic background looks TOO black so would opt for dark blue. But if you are painting it I would use a Matt black (like black board paint). It gives a natural looking black - if that doesn't sound a bit nutty :)

I have found that a black shiny plastic background looks TOO black so would opt for dark blue. But if you are painting it I would use a Matt black (like black board paint). It gives a natural looking black - if that doesn't sound a bit nutty :)

i think i know what your talking about. too shiney makes too much reflections, so it ends up looking unnatural, right?

I like black too, because I think it really makes the plants pop.

Attachments

• Gene pick-my aquarium 012314.jpg
    Gene pick-my aquarium 012314.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 92
I found a really old photo of one of my planted tanks from about 12 years ago , and it seemed I had used maybe a lizard background? It was lots of oranges the color not fruit , like sunsets , and I have to say with the green plants , and then the orange sword and orange and blue platys it look reallllly eye catching !

If you go black which is my favorite, I think it should be flat black.

Back
Top Bottom