Colorful danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw these at a LFS yesterday, had never seen before. I didn't ask, I assumed they were injected/dyed or whatever. Wow!

Aww, I live in California. Although I am helping someone move back to California in a couple weeks. Maybe I should grabbed a cooler and get me some of these. It's too bad you can't get these to breed and produce glowing offspring.

The eggs were injected with a gene from a jellyfish. I assume this is just like the glo-light tetras although I am not sure if the tetras were injected as eggs or as adults. Either way the gene is passed on to further generations.

You're right. I read that totally wrong. Thanks. Maybe I will try to get some for myself.

sorry theo, camera is not working at the moment. Dt has a great article but the fish are more colorful than the pictures display. Qtoffers post explained the gene came from sea anemone.

I assume this is just like the glo-light tetras although I am not sure if the tetras were injected as eggs or as adults.
Neither. Glowlight tetras (hemmigrammus erythrozonus) are a naturally occurring species.

Not to say that you are wrong but what I heard was that the glowlights were injected with either a gene or a luminescent bacteria and it is passed on from generation to generation. Don't remember where I heard that from. I am going to check it out for myself.

Edit: I can't come up with anything on the glo-light tetras being color enhanced. This leads me to believe that I was misinformed or misheard something. It seems that they are infact naturally occuring as they are seen in pet stores and are not color enhanced. Sorry for my ignorance.

I can't read the article because you have to be a member to see it, but the Glofish danios are not artificially died. Check the links I gave a few posts up to some informative information about them.

I thought the same, when I first saw them.

Cool, very interesting. What did we do before wikipedia. My only intention regarding my previous post was to double check and i think that we all, as fish lovers, should be wise to the evil doings of these inhumane money makers. That's all. I think that your pink fish are lovely. :D

WOW !! I saw this at my LFS last month . This is the only relatively decent LFS in my area -- I was sad to see this because :
1. I thought they were color-dyed and
2. Because of 1 since the LFS was selling color dyed fish, I would never buy anything from them and as I said they are the only decent LFS in my area

Glad that is not the case :)

I got a few due to my wife's wanting them. I do have to admit, they are very interesting fish, and I enjoy watching them swim around.

Back
Top Bottom